Many people install showers instead of bathtubs. They have many advantages: compact in size, easy to use, and often also multifunctional. It may seem that the structures do not need special care, but if you neglect the simple cleaning rules, unattractive spots and stains may appear on the surface. You can wash the shower stall with folk or folk remedies.
How to wash glass shower
You need to choose the right detergent. It is not recommended to use abrasive materials, even if the basis of their composition is gentle soda. Despite their effectiveness, they leave micro-scratches on the glass surface. The shower cabin will quickly lose its marketable appearance, and dirt will be eaten into scratches even more.
Here are a few ways to clean the glass of the shower products found in every home:
- Vinegar. Pour half a liter of water into a plastic bottle and add 2 tbsp. l table vinegar. Spray the liquid on the surface of the glasses with a spray gun and leave for 30 minutes. After rinse with clean water.
- Lemon acid. Instead of vinegar, add a bag of citric acid to the water and spray on glass. This is a great way to deal with calcined deposits, which are formed due to the excessive hardness of the water.
- In a liter of water, dilute a tablespoon of ammonia. Moisten a soft cloth with this solution and wipe the glass thoroughly.
- Another way is to wipe the glass with a cloth moistened with hydrogen peroxide.
- Prepare a solution consisting of a glass of water, 5 drops of ammonia and 1/2 liter of liquid glycerin. Glasses treated with this product become more dirty.
- On sale there is a household chemical product designed specifically for cleaning showers and their glasses. The formula of these products perfectly removes pollution, but at the same time carefully handles plumbing. A thin protective layer remains on the glass, repelling dirt from itself.
You also need to pay attention to the sponges with which to clean the glass. Too hard do not fit, they are also able to scratch the surface. The most suitable option is cotton napkins or made from microfiber.
To give shine to the outside of the shower cabin, you need to wipe the glass with a soft cloth dipped in a glass washing liquid.
The shower cabin requires constant care. After each use, it must be thoroughly rinsed with clean warm water, and then wiped dry. This allows you to maintain constant cleanliness in the bathroom.
In stores, the choice of cleaning products for plumbing and showers is huge. It is better to buy a spray, gel, cream or liquid. Cope well with pollution:
- “Cif” is a special composition of a creamy consistency that perfectly copes with lime, soap deposits and rust, has a pleasant smell and differs in whitening properties.
- “Mr. Muscle” is a spray that will help restore transparency and brilliance to glass doors.
- "Acrylan" - a liquid that is applied using a spray gun, can be used to combat severe dirt and mold.
- “Tilex” is a remedy that not only copes with grease stains from soap, but also has antibacterial properties, which is very important when caring for a shower.
The list of household chemicals that is suitable for use at home can be continued for a long time. To verify this, just visit the appropriate department in any store. When choosing a product, study the composition and purpose, since some gels and creams based on ammonia, alcohol and other aggressive substances are incompatible with certain materials.
Note! Do not use various powders and liquid compositions containing abrasive particles to clean the shower stall. The abrasive leaves scratches in which dirt is easily clogged, and it will be more and more difficult to clean it every time.
Another tool for cleaning the shower - video:
If you think that household chemicals are harmful to humans, you can use folk remedies. In the piggy bank of experienced housewives, there are usually several recipes that help to cope even with complex and neglected pollution.
Vinegar helps to fight limescale effectively. It easily destroys deposits of mineral salts that are contained in water, restores shine to chrome-plated elements and destroys most bacteria, and also eliminates soap plaque. Use it like this:
- Prepare the solution by mixing one glass of vinegar with two glasses of water.
- Using a spray gun, spray the solution onto the shower stall, paying special attention to contaminated areas.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes, and then rinse with clean water.
If there is a lot of lime on the mixer or the whirlpool head, vinegar can also help get rid of them. Dilute it with water in a ratio of 1: 1 and dampen a cloth or napkin with plenty of water in the prepared solution. Put it in problem areas and leave it for several hours or all night, then rinse with clean water. If the part is easily unscrewed, it can be removed and lowered into a vinegar solution.
Note! Vinegar is an aggressive substance, so when working with it, be sure to use rubber gloves to protect it.
Often, housewives wash the shower with citric acid, because this is one of the simplest, effective, inexpensive and safe methods. The principle of using a food supplement is very similar to vinegar:
- Dissolve a 100 gram sachet of citric acid in 0.5 l of warm water.
- Spray the prepared mixture onto contaminated surfaces using a spray gun.
- After 10-15 minutes, you can rinse with clean water.
To give the chrome elements a special shine, additionally wipe them with a slice of fresh lemon.
You can use citric acid in combination with baking soda. In a glass of warm water, dilute a small bag of citric acid (20-30 g.) And 20 g. soda. Use the prepared solution according to the above principle.
Vodka or alcohol
Medical alcohol or vodka will not only quickly remove impurities and stains, but also additionally sanitize the shower. To do this, mix a spoonful of strong drink with two tablespoons of pure water. Dampen a soft cloth or napkin in the prepared mixture and wipe the problem areas. Dry with a dry cloth afterwards. To enhance the effect, add a spoonful of vinegar.
Toothpaste or powder
If you wish to restore cleanliness to an acrylic or enamel tray, use toothpaste. Apply it in a thin layer on the surface to be treated. After a while, you need to remove the paste with a sponge and wash the walls with clean water.
An alternative may be a tooth powder, which even better deals with various types of contaminants. Sprinkle them with problem areas and gently rub with a damp cloth, then rinse. Tooth powder has a mild effect, therefore it is not able to damage acrylic or enamel.
If you want the glasses to sparkle clean, use ammonia:
- Dilute a tablespoon of the substance in a liter of cold water.
- Dampen a soft cloth in the solution.
- Wipe the glass surfaces with it.
The solution can also be used to clean the walls. If you add a little glycerin to the mixture, then it will not only cope with pollution of various origins, but also leave an invisible film on the surface that will repel water.
Note! When working with liquid ammonia, a strong unpleasant odor will appear in the room, so even before starting work, open the window.
Another means from a home medicine kit - hydrogen peroxide, can also get rid of limescale. It is excellent and in just a few minutes it will soften, or even completely dissolve, the deposits of mineral salts on the walls, the mixer and other details. It is enough to moisten a soft cloth in peroxide and wipe the problem areas with it. If the plaque cannot be removed immediately, the cloth soaked in an antiseptic can be left for a while.
Soap and limescale are quite difficult to remove, but its appearance can be prevented. To do this, regularly (daily or every few days) should perform simple actions:
- After taking a shower, wash the walls with hot and then cold water.
- Rinse off foam and soap marks well, paying particular attention to corners and hard-to-reach spots, from which it will be much more difficult to wash dirt and deposits. For these purposes, it is best to use a shower with a hose.
- Dry the walls and other elements of the shower cubicle. Do not leave water splashes, as salt deposits may appear after them.
Simple manipulations, which take no more than 15 minutes, will greatly simplify future maintenance of the structure and help maintain its attractive appearance.
Every 10-14 days, you should carefully clean the shower cabin from various contaminants. General cleaning should also be carried out in cases where the structure has not been used for a long time, for example, you were away.
General cleaning is carried out in several main stages:
- Cleaning the walls and plastic elements. Get rid of limescale and other types of pollution. To do this, apply the selected product to the surface, leave for a while and rinse with clean water. When cleaning walls, pay special attention to the joints between the tiles, as this is a favorite place for mold.
- Glass door wash. Thoroughly wash the glass from soapy stains. Well, special sprays for windows and glasses will cope with this task. A solution of vinegar, citric acid or ammonia is also suitable. Use the product according to the instructions, then wipe dry with a soft cloth.
- Cleaning chrome elements. Thoroughly clean the mixer, hydromassage head and other elements from mineral salts. With the help of purchased or folk remedies, restore their attractive shine to them.
- Sink tray. The last step is to wash the pan. When choosing a detergent, consider the material from which it is made. For example, for acrylic pallets, it is strictly forbidden to use formulations with formaldehydes, formic acid. Enameled pallets are more resistant to chemicals, but it is better to abandon the abrasive.
Going to do a general cleaning in the shower, arm yourself with such tools and devices:
- soft rags and microfiber,
- spray gun
- rubber scraper
- foam sponge
- a toothbrush.
We remove limescale from the shower - video:
Hard brushes and metal scrapers are not allowed, as they can leave scratches.
Advice! If it is not possible to cope with old pollution by traditional methods, use a steam cleaner. No dirt can resist the pressure of the hot steam.
It’s easy to wash a plastic or glass shower, but managing a fungus is much more difficult. If you notice black spots in the corners, in the joints and inaccessible places, immediately apply special antifungal compounds. Use them according to the instructions. An alternative could be a mixture of soda, ammonia and vinegar.
Mix half a glass of vinegar and a solution of ammonia, add 0.25 cups of soda. With the prepared mixture, clean the problem areas. They can be lightly rubbed with a toothbrush. Leave for a while, and then rinse.
We fight with mold in the bathroom - video:
Clean in a shower cabin in time, wash off soap scouts and wipe dry walls, then it will be much simpler to maintain cleanliness in it.