- Before washing, you need to find out whether it is possible to load the product into the machine, whether there are prohibited detergents. Some outerwear is contraindicated in immersion in water - only dry cleaning.
- When these points are clarified, you can begin the preparatory phase. While it does not matter, it will be hand or machine washable.
- A woolen coat is cleaned with a brush to remove large contaminants - dirt, dust, hair, and crumbs. It is advisable to carry out the brush from top to bottom so as not to accidentally pile the wool.
- If there are visible stains on clothing, they are cleaned before washing. Handle such risk areas as collar, cuffs, armpit areas. To do this, apply a delicate liquid product to contaminated places, gently massage them with your fingers.
It is impossible to rub the woolen fabric as other materials rub during washing, since it can fall off.
If the coat cannot be machine washed, you need to clean the product manually. You need to prepare a container that can accommodate a coat and water, for example, a bath or a large basin. It should be washed with soapy water, rinsed several times so as not to stain clothes.
The main stages of the process:
- Fill the container with water at room temperature, pour in detergent. Using hot water is dangerous - the product will sit away from contact with it. As a detergent, a gentle soap solution like baby shampoo is suitable. When it disperses in capacity, soak a coat in it.
- The product must be immersed completely, not float to the surface. In this state, it should soak for about half an hour. This procedure will save the product from further shrinkage.
- Wash. Do not rub your coat, gently massage with your fingers.
- A few rinses. Rinse your clothes until the water is clear and completely clean.
It’s a great success if the product can be machine washed - this will save the time and effort of the hostess. For this procedure, you will need a special bag made of mesh, or an ordinary sheet in which you can wrap a coat.
- Fasten all buttons, zippers and so on, turn inside out, put in a bag or sheet. The water temperature should be room temperature (30 ° C), the detergent should be delicate. Enable soaking mode. If there is none in the machine, you will have to soak the coat by hand before washing. Soaking will save the product from shrinkage and work with strong contaminants.
- Turn on the washing machine in the most delicate mode - for example, manual or special for wool, if any.
- At the end, remove the coat, unscrew, unfasten and dry according to the rules listed below.
Detergents for delicate fabrics
Silk and wool are considered to be particularly delicate and delicate fabrics in the textile industry. The fact is that these materials are very susceptible to alkalis, bioadditives, enzymes. And such substances are found in many household chemicals.
For gentle care of woolen clothing, products with a slightly acidic or completely neutral environment are suitable.
There are three ways to choose the right one:
- Carefully study the composition, all these complex alphabetic, numeric designations on the product label.
- Trust manufacturers, purchase a product labeled “for delicate fabrics” or “for wool”.
- Treat clothes like a small child, using baby cosmetics to care for her - neutral shampoos, foams.
Features and types of woolen fabrics
For tailoring use the covers of sheep, goats, camels. The material has many advantages: it is natural, able to retain heat, does not absorb moisture, and does not allow cold wind. Woolen clothes are difficult to wrinkle; they are not saturated with body odors and the environment as quickly as other fabrics. The only drawback of the material is the tendency to fall off after some time of socks.
For coats, sweaters, dresses use different fibers, so the wool is classified into:
- Pure wool. She has all the positive properties of the material, but she wears out quickly and can sit down.
- Wool Blend with the addition of artificial fibers.
- Coarse-cloth. Prickly to the touch, fairly stiff to hold in shape, used to make workwear and winter coats.
- Fine-woolen. Soft, pleasant, very warm at the same time.
- Worsted Cloth. With a clearly visible pattern, rarely used in outerwear.
To wash a woolen coat at home, it is desirable to have a maximum of information about the material from which it is sewn. A lifeguard will be a tag indicating the conditions for caring for the item. On it, the manufacturer indicates the possibility of hand or machine wash, water temperature and so on, taking into account all the features of the composition of the fabric.
Rules for drying woolen clothes
To avoid the worst - shrinkage and stalling - during washing, it is enough to soak the coat first, use barely warm water and not rub the product aggressively. However, shrinkage of clothes can also provoke improper drying.
It is important to dry the washed coat, taking into account the characteristics of the fabric. To do this, you must:
- Gently squeeze out excess water. You can not twist the fabric, as people usually do, squeezing something wet. Compress gently, from top to bottom, several times in a row.
- Lay the coat on a large terry sheet or towel, wrap it like a roll and squeeze it from top to bottom again. Thanks to such manipulations, the clothes will give away the moisture of the sheet.
- Put the coat on a dry cloth to dry. The product must be placed horizontally. From time to time it will be necessary to turn it over to dry both sides. Woolen outerwear will dry for at least two days. Using a dryer to save time is not recommended.
Cashmere is a special type of fine-woolen wool, popular in the fashion world due to its tenderness and softness. Cashmere products are worth a lot of money, while they are very picky in care.
How to wash a coat of wool of Kashmiri goats at home?
- The first rule is only hand wash. This fragile material is very easily deformed, shrinks. If the coat is actually made of one hundred percent cashmere, then it is best to turn it over to dry cleaning.
- If there are spot stains on the cashmere product, it is preferable to process only them, without soaking the thing completely. You can use a soap solution whipped in foam at a water temperature of about 25 ° C.
- You can not twist such a fabric.
- When the coat dries (by the same rules as other woolen products), iron it through a thin cloth and hang it on a coat hanger in a well-ventilated room.
Features of Drape Cleaning
Drap is one of the most popular materials for tailoring a coat. This woolen fabric is durable and holds the shape of the product well. A distinctive feature of the drape is its composition. It contains many different woolen fibers and is layered in nature. Because of this property, caring for one thing from the drape can be radically different from caring for another.
The main thing is to carefully study the tag with the requirements of the manufacturer.
- Do not wash the draped coat if there are patches with sizing in it. Such a product must be treated with a soapy solution using a brush, while the solution should have a minimum amount of detergent. Otherwise, stains will remain on the clothing.
- Water should be cold rather than warm, and a brush with a soft pile.
- If there are no taped zones on the coat made of drap, it can be cleaned using the universal method described in this article.
Features of storage of delicate outerwear
Some pragmatists reflect on more mundane things: will it be warm in clothes in winter, how noticeable will be the contamination on such a product. But almost no one at the time of purchase thinks that storing delicate outerwear is a science.
- After each season of socks, the thing must be washed, properly dried and properly hidden.
- In the houses there are caterpillars of clothes moths, skin-eating bugs. To protect your coat from them, it must be washed before storage, even if there are no visible spots on the eye. Absolutely clean, dry clothing must be placed in a special plastic cover or carry case. Next to it, you need to place a substance that repels moths.
- The well-known naphthalene really does not allow insects to things, but it has a specific smell. There are more modern products, as well as their natural counterparts with pleasant aromas - lavender, ledum. A few paper or fabric sachets with herbs will keep your wardrobe up to the next cold.
If you follow the rules of washing, drying, selection of detergent and gentle storage of outerwear, it will last more than one season. Of course, provided that the thing was made efficiently, from decent materials, in compliance with production technology. And when there is not enough time and effort to care for the coat, fortunately, there is a dry cleaning service.
There are points that must be taken into account when washing home clothes.
The main rule: try to wash your coat from wool as little as possible, it is better to take it to dry cleaning.
If for any reason you have to wash your coat at home, remember the following:
- If a small area of fabric or decoration is dirty, clean only them.
- For washing wool it is better to take gel-like special products that are completely soluble in water and well rinsed.
- Be sure to study the information from the manufacturer on the product label to determine which way is best to wash the woolen thing - manually or in a washing machine.
Sometimes only dry dry cleaning is recommended, which cannot be done at home. In this case, do not take risks, otherwise the cost of acquiring a new coat cannot be avoided.
Even the allowed hand wash mode for wool is delicate: you need to control the temperature of the water, you can not twist and squeeze the fabric, you will have to rinse the product more than once. But the most difficult thing is drying the wool after washing. It is improper drying that leads to tissue deformation, leading it to an unaesthetic appearance.
The algorithm for home washing the coat is as follows:
- Fill the container with warm water, dissolve the detergent. If at home there is only laundry detergent for wool, you can fill it in a dry basin and pour hot water to dissolve it better. In this case, you will have to wait until the solution cools down, and only after that continue washing.
- If the coat is large, use a bath; for smaller items, you can take a large basin.
- Fasten the product to all buttons, lower it into a soap solution. Leave it on for 5 minutes so that the dirt slightly moves away from the material. Gently rub the surface of the product with your palms, try not to stretch the wool in different directions.
- Pour soapy water, put the thing at the bottom of the container and try to squeeze out more moisture from it: stroke with your palms along the product, gently pushing water out of the material.
- Pour rinse water, rinse coat, change water until it is completely clean. It is better to perform this manipulation with the help of the shower.
Partial dry cleaning is the best option for outerwear. If you can cope with stains, you don’t have to wash the whole thing, it is enough to periodically ventilate and store it correctly. We present the simplest methods for stain removal and recall that they must be eliminated immediately after the appearance, without waiting until they penetrate deep into the tissue.
- Treat certain contaminated areas with soapy water at home: drip a little detergent or shampoo onto a damp cloth, wipe off the dirt. Collect the remaining foam with a cloth dampened with clean water.
- You can sprinkle talcum powder on the problem area, after an hour shaking out the rest. Talc is not at home - replace it with potato starch. Talc is especially good at cleansing greasy and greasy marks.
- Treat the white wool coat from stains with a special solution: in 4 teaspoons of ammonia dilute a teaspoon of salt. In the resulting mixture, moisten the cosmetic disc and wipe it with a contaminated surface, in the end wipe with a damp, clean cloth.
Proper care of outerwear will always look good. And this is important, because by tradition they meet a person by clothes. Remember this.
Do you need a wash?
Frankly, it is better to avoid frequent and unjustified washing of products made from natural wool. No matter how gentle the detergent is, the process of getting wet and subsequent drying significantly affects the structure of the fabric. With frequent washing and drying, the woolen cloth loses its density, the shape of the product may begin to deform.
Look at your coat and see how dirty it is. If there are separate small contaminated areas on the clothes, for example, in the form of a stain from coffee or other products, it is better to dwell on the local washing of a separate area. This procedure is more gentle and will affect a minimum of material.
Depending on the nature of the stain, you can try to wash it at home, or take the product to dry cleaning. The second option is more preferred, especially for very delicate fabrics of fine wool, such as cashmere.
If you decide to wipe off a little dirt on your woolen clothes at home, you will need a soft sponge or piece of cloth. As a means to remove stains, you can use laundry soap, hair shampoo or special detergents for washing wool products.
Remember, not the product itself is applied to the stain, but a thick foam obtained by dissolving the selected product in water. The area of contamination on which the foam is applied should be very carefully and gently rubbed with a sponge or cloth. Do not rub the stain too hard, do not press excessively on the sponge. After removing contamination in this way, the area of the fabric should be washed with warm water, blotted with a dry terry towel or a dense cloth.
Of course, it is always impossible to use local staining of stains and dirt constantly. With prolonged use of clothing, its complete washing is inevitable. Here are a few rules to follow when If you decide to wash your wool coat at home:
- Before starting the wash, you must prepare your product for it. Free all pockets from things and small objects, unfasten decorative overlays, brooches and clips. If the coat has a collar or hood that can be unfastened, it is also better to remove it.
- Be sure to fasten zippers, buttons, rivets, including on pockets.
- Turn the product inside out, lining out.
- To wash a coat of wool by hand, type the right amount of water in a large basin or bath. Any washing of woolen clothing should be carried out at a water temperature of no higher than 40 degrees. For products made from extremely delicate 100% natural wool, the maximum temperature is 30 degrees. To find out the material composition of your coat, look at the product tag.
- In the prepared water, dilute the detergent until a foam forms. Immerse the coat in the solution and leave to soak for 10-15 minutes. Soaking for too long is undesirable. If the product has stains and dirt, they should be washed separately before soaking as described above.
After soaking, drain the water and rinse the coat several times in warm water. Rinsing is carried out until foam no longer forms in the water.
- A variant of washing a woolen product in an automatic machine is also possible. To do this, set the gentle washing mode. If there is a “Wool” program in your washing machine, select it. Remember, in the machine you can only wash things from mixed material. For 100% wool, only gentle hand wash is suitable.
- To better wash the foam from the fibers of the product, it is desirable to establish an additional rinse cycle.
- With the spin mode, you should be very careful. Undoubtedly, it is much more convenient to get a wet product from the drum, rather than soaked in a lot of water. But, nevertheless, it is better to exclude machine spinning. If its use is still necessary, you need to set the minimum speed for the drum.
In no case can a wool coat be pushed and twisted. After washing (if the spin mode was not applied in the washing machine), the product should be laid out horizontally on a large dense bedspread or towel. Gently wrap the coat in a cloth and gently squeeze it. This will allow excess water to soak into the towel. After that, you should replace a wet towel or bedspread, placing it dry under the coat, and repeat the procedure again.
After getting wet with a cloth, the product is also horizontally laid out on a flat surface, on a dry cloth. Periodically, the coat should be turned over, and the blanket or towel should be changed as it gets wet.
In no case Do not dry the product of wool material vertically on the shoulders or clothespins, This can severely deform the woolen fabric. Не следует также опрокидывать мокрое или влажное пальто на бельевую веревку, иначе на материале останется след, от которого практически невозможно будет избавиться.
Wool does not tolerate drying at elevated temperatures. So to dry the product made of wool should be placed away from the radiator, radiators, or radiators. It is also necessary to exclude contact with direct sunlight. Draft in a room where wool clothes are dried is undesirable.
Hanging a coat of woolen material vertically on the shoulders is possible only after it has completely dried.
For how to wash a wool coat manually, see the next video.