Spicy pickled vegetables called kimchi (kimchi, kim chi, kimcha) are one of the most important assets of the Korean people. However, not only Korean, because kimchi was included in the intangible cultural heritage of humanity by UNESCO! After all, kimchi in Korean is a pleasure to cook and eat in all countries of the world. At the same time, the classic recipe for kim chi does not exist, so this appetizer is prepared from a wide variety of vegetables (cabbage, cucumbers, radishes, onions, etc.), using various technologies and even with different spices. Moreover, there are not even sharp kimchi recipes, so if you want, you will probably find or come up with a variant of kimchi, created specifically for you. Be sure to try it!
This section contains the best kimchi recipes with step-by-step photos and instructions. We will tell and show how to cook kimchi in Korean quickly and tasty!
What is the difference between kimchi
Any salting has its own flavor, which can not be confused. In the case of kimchi, this is very pronounced. The specific smell and taste will surprise you at first, and then true gourmets fall in love with them.
Unlike sauerkraut, the leaves in the Korean dish are left whole. Beijing cabbage is softer, therefore, the result is achieved faster. However, if the shredded version is more convenient, cut it.
The benefits of this product are a separate topic. Calcium, iron, vitamins and minerals lower cholesterol, fight cancer, vitamin C boosts immunity, and vitamin A improves skin condition.
A variety of recipes and ingredients. Some love kimchi sweeter, others do not add carrots. Each adjusts the level of severity in its own way. But there is a risk of spoiling the snack, for example, with an excess of garlic, because it gives bitterness. The classic ingredients include radishes, onion slices and fish ingredients such as seafood pasta or seaweed.
How to cook it at home
In the restaurant, this dish is used in the correct preparation. Is it possible to achieve the desired taste and pungency at home? Do I need to add secret ingredients and what technology to cook? As the experience of the hostesses shows, there are no secrets if you follow the recipe.
- Chinese cabbage - head of cabbage
- Daikon - 1 piece
- Chili pepper - 8 medium pieces, not too hot
- Fish sauce
- Sugar, salt
- Onion feathers
There are three methods for salting the main product. Dry, in water and mixed. In three ways, it is better to use coarse sea salt. The waterless process speaks for itself. We rub the product with grains evenly on both sides, leave to allocate natural juice for several hours.
In a humid environment, cabbage does not salt out so quickly, but evenly.
With a wet-dry method, you need to rub the leaves and fill with water. In our recipe we use a common method - wet.
We cut the head of cabbage in large lobes, along the core into quarters, and even across. Put in a pan, rub with salt and squeeze slightly. Salted grains will need two large spoons. Fill with water to hide the pieces. Pressed on top with heavy oppression. The brine soaks the product all night.
The next step is flushing. Remove excess salt, rinsing with water. Let it drain.
The creative process begins - the preparation of the marinade. A large piece of ginger and garlic cloves are ground in a blender or on a grater. Throw the hot peppercorns into the blender. If Korean cuisine is too spicy for you, remove some of the fruit.
Shred radish straws, like french fries.
Grind onion feathers.
We take the dishes in which it is convenient to mix. Pour spicy seasonings: chili, ginger, garlic. Pour the fish sauce, sprinkle with sugar and grind. Following in the marinade goes radish and onions. And the last we put cabbage. We rub each piece so that the vegetable is covered with filling.
The mixture is peppered, so it is better to cook the dish with gloves, or treat the skin after cooking.
Keep kimchi, like other sauerkraut, you need in a glass container. We take the jar a little more in volume than the number of snacks, transfer the contents to it. Cabbage will secrete juice that can spill over the edges.
Close the jar tightly so that bacteria do not get. We leave the night in a cool place. It’s better to go where it’s darker. We remove the daily infusion in the refrigerator for a couple of days, but ideally kimchi is infused for about a week to acquire a unique Korean taste.
Every day we take out a jar of kimchi and gently press on the contents, stirring the brine.
How to Make Beijing Cabbage Kimchi
Koreans have Beijing cabbage as their favorite. There are many recipes for making salad from it. This classic:
- 10 kg of Beijing cabbage
- Water - 8 liters
- Sea salt (coarse) - 800 gr
- Garlic - 300 gr
- Sugar - a large spoon
- Red Pepper Flakes - Glass
Separate the leaves from the head and wash. While drying, we prepare a brine from cooked products. Roomy dishes are needed so that the whole cabbage pieces enter.
Submerge the vegetable in the saline and squeeze on top. Peking cabbage will be salted until the morning. If possible, turn over the cabbage parts after a few hours. In the morning, drain the liquid, leaving a little for the sauce. Rinse the leaves from excess salt.
We prepare the pasta on the basis of brine, grated garlic, and put the pepper in the form of flakes, sugar.
We put on gloves before rubbing the leaves. We paste each piece with paste, put it on top of each other in one container, again we press it with the load from above. A few days will be the process of fermentation of the dish. Then lay the kimchi in portions in glass jars. They better store appetizer. We clean in a cold place.
There is a dry way to cook cabbage. We pour cabbage with sea salt and remove for 4 hours. After the other side of the leaves, sprinkle again and note the time. After 8 hours, wash off the grains and dry the vegetable.
Someone skillfully combines both methods: first wakes up, then soaks. It turns out faster.
More often, kimchi from Beijing cabbage is made with the addition of vinegar and numerous spices.
One of the famous recipes is this:
- Beijing cabbage - 1 kg
- 4 large spoons of salt
- 1 chilli
- Vinegar - 2 large spoons
- Soy Sauce - 100 ml
- Head of garlic
- Ginger - 4 pieces
- 3 onions
- Sugar and paprika, 2 large spoons
The processing of the main product is the same - cut into pieces. Dry salting takes the time of night.
After preparing the marinade, that is, the mixture of ingredients in powdered form, spread the leaves with a sharp paste. We fill the voids in the banks with water. In a cold place, kimchi brews for 2-3 days.
Gourmets appreciate the aftertaste of pickled apples and pears, which is why Beijing cabbage is often fermented in slices of fruit. Choose the best recipe to your liking.
Sauces are taken ready. In addition to fish, anchovy and shrimp are suitable. You can combine both sauces. It depends on taste and desire. Cooking fish at home is almost impossible. This is a complex process. In Korea, such sauces are plentiful on the shelves. If you didn’t find it, you can do without it at all. Koreans themselves sometimes replace the sauce with just salt or seaweed.
What to do after the salting process
Rinse in a special way. Rinse several times in cold water. We cut the head of cabbage into large pieces, turn it with a bottleneck down, that is, upside down, so that drops of liquid will drain. If they stay inside, they will turn sour and spoil the marinade.
Make gochugaru paste
Add hot flakes of hot pepper to the mashed potatoes. After a while, the pepper vegetable will give a saturated red color to the solution. Grind the garlic and ginger into small cubes. Pour into paste and knead until smooth. Thin plates cut onion feathers and radish. Together with vegetables dressing combine with leaves.
What is fermentation? This is a kind of fermentation process that occurs during sauerkraut. The lactic acid that is secreted helps the spread of beneficial microorganisms. These are lactobacilli, contributing to the digestion of food, the work of the stomach and intestines.
For infusion and impregnation, it is better to take a container or use a pan with a lid. We take into account that the product will give juice, and leave a place for it on top. Tamp, close tightly so that bacteria do not get. A glass jar is also suitable for fermentation. But there is also a special dish for this, in which the result will be much better. In a plastic container, the snack is stored less. If you are going to eat immediately, then plastic will do. For storage, choose another dish.
Kimchi cooking time
Kimchi is preparing for a long time. No wonder cooks are advised to stock up on patience.
A day or two takes processing and salting vegetables. Let's count on the example of a recipe how to cook kimchi from Beijing cabbage. So, put a pot of water on the fire, bring to a boil 3 liters of liquid. We ourselves cut the cabbage: along the base we divide it into quarters, once again crosswise cut into wide plates. Salt in such proportions: 6 large spoons on our volume of water. We drop the future cabbage in Korean in hot water, put it tightly, and crush it.
While the water is hot, it seems that there is a lot of cabbage and it does not enter. Wait until it cools down, then it becomes clear that the pieces are tamped. First, we press the load, as it cools down, remove it. At home, put the pan on the floor and forget about it for a couple of days.
After some time, we wash the cabbage workpiece from the brine. And on the same day we are preparing the marinade for the next, most important stage - fermentation. We knead the marinade on the basis of burning peppers, bell pepper, garlic, coriander, ginger, fish sauce in a blender. Coat cabbage pieces, put in a glass container. Consumption is 1: 1, that is, a kilo of cabbage - a liter jar.
And then a matter of taste. True gourmets let kimchi roam for another 5 days so that the cabbage has a characteristic fermented taste and smell. Those who do not have enough patience take the test the very next day. In banks, the snack should be left at room temperature, do not put in the refrigerator. And only then, when the fermentation is completed, we remove it for storage in the cold.
Total cooking time - at least 3 days, maximum - up to a week.
How long to keep ready-made kimchi
The dishes traditional for preserving treats are ong-gi. This is a clay or breathable ceramic product that supports the fermentation process. Cabbage is stored in such containers even for months in the ground.
In Russian cuisine, such dishes are more likely the exception. Therefore, we use a plastic container that is tightly clogged.
Glass jars in which sauerkraut are stored are also suitable.
Up to six months, the result of one salting is used. True, every month kimchi becomes acidic, as fermentation intensifies. Harvesting "for a long time" is suitable only for the vegetable option. But with seafood, it is better to eat kimchi in a month.
By the way, kimchi is not just an appetizer, a salad for hot dishes and a vegetable dish of its own. With its addition, complex dishes are also prepared. So, kimchi will be an ideal addition to pilaf, stewed bigus is prepared on its basis, it goes to burgers and sandwiches as a vegetable supplement. An acid product is also indispensable for headaches, after the holidays and plentiful libations.
|Chinese cabbage||1 PC.|
|hot pepper sauce||85-105 ml|
Prepare the cabbage
- Wash Beijing cabbage thoroughly under the strong pressure of cold water, then dry it a little with a paper towel. Cut the cabbage into four equal parts.
- Pour 2.1-2.3 liters of water into the pan and add 65-70 g of salt. Stir the liquid thoroughly until the grains of salt have completely dissolved.
- Immerse parts of cabbage in brine, tightly stacking them to each other.
- Press the cabbage with a press in the form of a flat plate. We put a load on top of the plate and leave the cabbage to be salted for a day.
- After a day, remove the ingredient from the brine, squeeze it a little. Gently grease each leaf with 85-105 ml of hot pepper sauce. The more sauce we use, the sharper the dish will turn out.
- Spread the cabbage in a saucepan. We clean the head of garlic and grind the cloves with a knife or using a special device. On top of the cabbage, evenly distribute the garlic mass.
- Pour all this with 110-130 ml of brine, in which cabbage was pickled. We cover the cabbage with a press and press it with a load.
- Let the cabbage brew for about a couple of hours. We take kimchi from brine and cut into portioned portions.
- In this recipe, you can add cucumbers, pumpkin, zucchini, other varieties of cabbage, as well as leafy vegetables. However, avoid adding ingredients with a pronounced flavor and rich color, such as carrots, beets, or fruits. These ingredients can ruin the taste of the food.
- If you would like to additionally use green onions in the recipe, put it in a pan in a whole form, but cut cucumbers, pumpkin or zucchini into long large plates or divide into quarters.
- For kimchi, it is best to use coarse sea salt and salt the ingredients in layers.
- The dish will turn out more spicy and spicy, if you add spices such as garlic, ginger and red hot pepper to it. When choosing the severity of this appetizer, focus on your own taste preferences.
- Some housewives remove the core of Beijing cabbage before pickling, so the dish is more tender.
- Keep kimchi in a plastic container in the refrigerator, the dish stays fresh for quite some time.
Make the sauce
- Dry hot pepper in an amount of 120-150 g is cleaned of seeds and stalk. Pour the dry component with boiling water for 10-13 minutes.
- We clean the head of garlic from the husk and thoroughly rinse the cloves.
- Lean the infused pepper in a colander and let the liquid drain completely.
- We shift the pepper and cloves of garlic into a blender bowl and chop them.
- In the resulting mixture, add 2 pinches of cilantro and 6-8 g of ground coriander, mix.
- Pour 700-720 ml of cold water into a large pot, then add 30-35 g of gluten-free rice flour.
- Stir the mass thoroughly and put the pan on the stove. Constantly stirring the mixture, bring the contents to a boil.
- We set the minimum heat and cook the jelly for 2 minutes.
Prepare the dressing
- We clean and wash 580-600 g of radish, 190-210 g of carrots, 190-210 g of onions, 35-40 g of garlic.
- Radish and carrots cut into thin strips.
- Green onions in the amount of 190-210 g are cut into longitudinal pieces.
- In a blender bowl we put onions, cut into quarters, garlic cloves and ginger. Pour in the same 95-100 ml of fish sauce.
- In a large basin, lay out chopped radishes, carrots, green onions. Add there 55-60 g of hot pepper, 75-80 ml of oyster sauce, ground garlic and onion mass.
- Pour the prepared ingredients with kissel and mix everything thoroughly.