You have fry of molliesia, and you don’t know what to do?
First of all, stop worrying. There is no difficulty in caring for the fry of molliesia. Mollies are live-bearing fish and fry immediately know how to swim and eat.
If fry appeared in a common aquarium, then the first thing to do is to carefully drop them in a separate container with water from a common aquarium. Add an antibacterial drug like methylene blue to the water.
Equip an aquarium with fry aeration and a filter. To prevent the fry from being drawn into the aquarium filter, reduce the suction power of the filter and pull a piece of nylon onto the filter inlet if it is not equipped with such protection.
If it is not possible to plant fry from a common aquarium, then add a thick layer of floating plants like riccia. Mollinesia and other aquarium fish eat fry, and riccia will allow more fry to survive. Ideally, a pregnant female is pre-planted for delivery in a separate aquarium, where fry appear. After giving birth, the female is returned to the general aquarium.
At first, the aquarium with fry is lit 10-12 hours a day. This is necessary for more frequent feeding of fry, which allows them to grow faster.
What to feed
In the early days of fry it is possible to feed with crushed boiled yolk or special feeds for fry of viviparous fish. But the best food will be nauplii artemia. Two weeks later, a tubule and bloodworm are added to the diet of fry, which are additionally crushed in any accessible and convenient way. The best food for the quick rise of fry is live food or specialized dry food from leading manufacturers: Tetra, Sulfur, JBL, Dajana and others.
How many times a day to feed? Fry is fed 4-5 times a day, which is necessary for the rapid growth of juveniles. Do not feed more than fry can eat at one time. An uneaten feed leads to contamination of the aquarium, which is fraught with outbreaks of disease and infection.
Take care correctly
The aquarium with fry should be regularly maintained, keeping it clean:
- Regularly remove accumulated waste from the bottom of the aquarium
- Replace 10-15% of water twice a week with standing water of the same temperature
- Maintain water temperature in the range of 27-28 degrees Celsius for faster growth of fry
If fry of mollinesia die, then first of all check the water parameters with special tests. Serve the aquarium, remove dirt from the bottom of the aquarium and change the water. You should understand that fry should always be kept clean, and not only when you bother to pour fresh water.
Diseases and infections affecting the gills and internal organs can be another reason for the death of fry of mollinsia. The most common is ichthyophthyroidism or semolina, as it is often called. Therefore, the addition of antibacterial drugs to the aquarium with fry is recommended.
The difficulty in diagnosing infections in the fry is that the fry die before the manifestations of the infection become visible externally.
Molliesia fry grow rapidly. Within a month, they can be released into a common aquarium, when they cease to fit in the mouth of those fish that you contain. In the video you can see the approximate size that the fry reach by the month of life. Mollies of different species reach puberty at different times. Black mollinzia become sexually mature at the age of 4-6 months, velifer mollies are closer to a year.
This type of fish is unpretentious in care, but it is important to know the rules of keeping in order to ensure a long and happy life:
- Disposable feeding, diversify the diet, you can’t feed the fish only with animal feed, they are omnivorous, the food should be nutritious and heterogeneous, do not forget to use plant foods. You can’t overfeed the fish, they will eat everything you offer, but it’s harmful.
- Change the water once a week, mollies are sensitive to it, the water temperature for comfortable fish living is 23–28 degrees, and the hardness is 25 dGH. And also provide the aquarium with a filter and a special compressor for aeration.
- He appreciates and loves free space, so 20 liters or more of water is required to keep one individual. Large fish grow, so it is better to purchase a spacious aquarium.
- They love lighting, it is important to provide them with a lot of light, in the light of the fish are at least 12 hours a day.
- To make aquarium fish healthy, it is better to add salt to the water, on the principle of 1 teaspoon per 20 liters of water.
- The presence of snags, algae, other vegetation and shelters is important so that the fish feel comfortable.
What types of these aquarium fish are popular.
- Black molliesia. Unusual fish, black as night, the choice of most aquarists. It has an elongated body, the sides are flattened, large eyes and a raised mouth. Males reach 6 cm in length, and females 10 cm. Fish are valued, the color of which is clean, deep, without spots.
- Sailing Molliesia. It differs in a peculiar fin, in size reaches more than 10 cm.
- Snowflake. A subspecies of sailing. This species is characterized by a white body with blue tints.
- Dalmatian. It is notable for its spotted color, a type of sailing molliesia. Sizes range from the smallest 5 cm to large 14 cm.
- Latipina. It features high dorsal fins, the color is silver-brown with blue splashes.
- Sphenops. It has the most elongated body. Small head, large eyes, protruding lips, small fins. Color is diverse.
- Balloon. A distinctive feature are wide fins and a round abdomen. The size of this type of fish depends on the size of the aquarium, the larger it is, the more fish grows. The reproduction of mollinzia balloon occurs, as in other subspecies.
- Freestyle. Difficult to maintain the fish, more than other species is choosy to the living conditions.
- Dwarf. Small size, only 3-4 cm.
- Paten. It has a black appendix, similar to a sword.
There are many species of such wonderful fish, but they differ mainly in color and fin shape, therefore these species are the main and most popular.
How to grow fry of molliesia
Fry of mollies do not need their parents, all the more so since it is not safe to leave fry with them. Mollies have no parental instinct, and starving fish can easily eat their offspring.
Females awaiting delivery are planted in advance in special jiggers or simply plastic containers or three-liter jars and shaded so that the mother does not see her offspring after delivery. The born fry are transferred to a growth aquarium equipped with a lamp, compressor and heater, where the fry are reared and only after that they are transferred to a common aquarium.
The subtleties of breeding fish. How to determine the gender?
How is the sex of the fish determined:
- Females are larger than males, they have a round belly, and the anal fin is in the shape of a triangle. Females become sexually mature at 5–6 months.
- The anal fin of males (gonopodia) is presented in the form of a tube. In males, the period of maturity is 8-12 months.
- Molliesia change sex if habitat conditions are required. Such a function is inherent in all live-bearing species of fish, it is necessary to save the population in an emergency.
When breeding have passed puberty, start to breed them, if you want to sell future fish, then it is worth it to be responsible and prepared. It is important to know how molliesia gives birth.
Look at the genera of mollies fish.
Care for fry of molliesia
It is better to grow fry of mollinsia in a hygienic type aquarium. It is believed that in an aquarium without soil and plants it is easier to maintain cleanliness. Fry of mollinesia, unlike, for example, fry of guppies, prefer warmer water at 27-29 ° degrees. Temperature jumps should not be allowed to decrease.
Mollies of fry in cool water quickly become ill. The first signs of scratching and contraction of the fins. Ill fry are much more difficult to cure than adult fish and often end in the death of fry, while survivors noticeably lag behind in growth. In the cool season, a heater with an integrated temperature controller will help maintain a stable water temperature.
In the aquarium with fry should be clean water. Unacceptable bacterial outbreaks and overpopulation of the aquarium. Food not eaten by fry should be removed, as well as excreted excrement removed from the bottom and water replaced. Maintaining cleanliness in the aquarium will help snails ampullaria and small catfish ancistruses.
How many fry give birth to mollinsia
Mollies of the fish are quite prolific and, on average, one female can bring up to 40-50 fry per month. And if you have several females? Is there enough space in the growing aquarium? You can solve the problem with a lack of places if you additionally use 10-15 liters. plastic tanks. Plastic tanks are reliable transparent and do not emit toxic substances into the water.
Young juveniles need to be resettled in additional aquariums or tanks, taking into account that 1 liter is approximately 1 liter per fish. water. Otherwise, the fry will be uncomfortable suffering from a lack of oxygen and stunted.
How many fry of molliesia grow
Eating live food, the fry of mollinsia grow very quickly and after 3-4 weeks they reach a size of 1.5-2 cm. The grown fry can be transferred to a common aquarium, but be sure that there are no aggressive and large fish in the general aquarium such as : cichlids, barbs, gold, etc. If you are the first to release young mollies in a common aquarium and are not quite sure of the community of fish that will meet them, do not rush to launch everyone, but only launch 3-4 fish and, if you do not notice an aggressive attitude towards him run the rest.
The grown fry of mollinesia are still not mature fish and need high-quality feed; therefore, live feed should not be completely excluded from the diet. By 4-5 months, molliesia will become full-grown fish. There are several breeding species of mollies with a modified fin shape and a variety of color variations, but the aquarium with black mollies is especially beautiful.
How to prepare fish for breeding
It is better to reproduce in an aquarium specially prepared for this, in which an appropriate temperature regime will be set, comfortable for the life of the fish, as well as a lot of vegetation. Important! The water temperature should not exceed 28 degrees, otherwise the fry of mollinsia will be premature, and it is extremely difficult to get out in this case. The fish reproduce in the general aquarium, but make sure that the conditions for keeping there meet the necessary requirements and the main rule is observed: a lot of free space and pure water. Otherwise, offspring are not born.
After preparing the aquarium for breeding mollies, select the male and female who have completed puberty. The male, with the help of gonopodia, fertilizes the female, while the first time molliesia may not be pregnant. You may need up to 10 fertilization attempts. But, if everything is done correctly, then under such comfortable conditions it will give birth to offspring in a month.
How to determine pregnancy molliesia?
When the abdomen is rounded, be sure that it is pregnant and you should expect the birth of fry soon.
Pregnant molliesia lasts 8–10 weeks, give birth from 30 fry to 200 (large individuals). Before delivery, the male is removed from the aquarium, but molliesia still continues to give birth, because it retains fertilized eggs. The birth of mollies occurs once every one and a half to two months, and without further participation of the male it brings the offspring for another six months. Under excellent conditions of keeping, the offspring will be numerous and healthy. If you want the reproduction of mollies to belong to only one species, you should carefully monitor that the species do not interbreed. Keep only one species in the aquarium or transfer a couple of individuals to another place to spawn.
Living things are prone to disease, and fish are no exception to the rule. It is important to know how to care during this period.
Common causes of the disease:
- Excess oxygen in the water, the fish becomes restless, its gills darken. The disease is called gas embolism. To eliminate the symptoms, change the water to a suitable one for the fish by the amount of oxygen in it.
- Incorrect conditions. This reason leads to the emergence of incurable tumors in fish, it is impossible to help them with such a disease.
- Too cold water leads to colds of fish, they lose energy, swim on the surface of the water, lose interest in food. The solution is simple - to create the correct temperature regime of water.
Price at the pet store
You can buy a fish within 40-60 rubles, depending on the species. Rare and beautiful species are purchased at a price of 100 rubles and above.
Mollinesia - quiet and calm fish, lead a measured life. Get along with fish of the same nature. Categorically it is impossible to lodge them with representatives of predatory fish species. They are not very demanding, they live a long time, on average 5 years, but the “lucky ones” can live up to 8, it is important to ensure comfortable living and proper care, then the fish will please you for a long time.
General characteristics of the species
Mollinesia - aquarium fish from the genus Pecilian, belong to the order of Carp-like. The main feature of the phenotype is that molly is a viviparous fish, and is able to bear and give birth to offspring that is completely ready for independent life immediately after childbirth.
In the wild, malls look modest and inconspicuous, but in pet stores, thanks to the painstaking work of breeders, you can see many different decorative species of fish that differ in color and body shape. The color of the molly scales varies from charcoal black to white and orange, and the body shape can be disk or balloon.
An interesting fact: only this species can have a “balloon” body shape. In mollinesia, balloon reproduction occurs in the same way as in other relatives.
Breeding mollins in the aquarium
In mollies, reproduction is interesting and fascinating, and despite the great popularity of fish, many aquarists do not know the intricacies of this process, for example, how to determine the pregnancy of mollies and how the birth of mollies occurs. But this information will not only simplify the breeding of mollies, but also contribute to obtaining healthy, viable offspring.
Spawning of mollies can occur only in 5–6 months in females, and in 8–12 months in males, since it is at this age that puberty occurs in fish. To avoid hassles, aquarists do not choose for breeding a couple of malls, but four individuals: one male and three females. After pregnant molliesia gives birth, fertilized eggs remain in her body, and even if the male is removed from the aquarium, the females can still multiply. In pregnant mullinsia, labor occurs after 20-40 days, the duration depends on the temperature of the water.
Also a distinctive feature of the phenotype is the ability to change sex, if this is required by the preservation of the population.
How to distinguish a female from a male
Before breeding molly, it is necessary to be able to distinguish between males and females. Experienced aquarists are guided by the following external signs:
- the boys are smaller, the anal fin is presented in the form of the genital organ, and the caudal fin is magnificent and large,
- girls are larger and more plump, and the anal fin has a triangular shape.
It is possible to determine the fish’s sex at 6–8 weeks of age, and its formation depends on the temperature of the liquid in the general aquarium: boys predominate in warm water, and females prevail in cold water.
Preparing fish for breeding
Mollies give birth and breed only under certain conditions, otherwise pregnancy may not occur, or the offspring will be premature. You can breed fish in a common aquarium, but experts advise you to put your parents in a separate container so that pets do not distract or disturb. Spawning is prepared as follows:
- the volume is chosen from 60 l,
- live vegetation is planted in the hider
- daylight hours should last 12 hours,
- water acidity - 7–8 pH,
- hardness - 20-30 dH,
- temperature is 26–28C.
To obtain healthy offspring, the best fish are chosen, among which there should be three females and one male. The selection is carried out according to the following criteria:
- Pet activity and mobility
- fins integrity
- the brightness and uniformity of the color, the absence of spots or plaque,
- size of fish
- future parents belong to the same species.
Before transplanting the fish to the hider, it is necessary to keep the future parents on plant feeding for two weeks. Molly breeding begins one or two months after moving to the spawning: the male fertilizes the female with the help of the penis, while the first attempts may be unsuccessful.
Interesting fact: Molly fry are almost always born at dawn.