Lemon is an evergreen citrus tree. The homeland of lemons is subtropics, so plants love heat and moisture. In open ground, the tree grows up to 8 meters, although there are dwarf three-meter trees. With good care, homemade varieties bear fruit all year round.
The optimum temperature for the development of shoots and leaves is + 17 ° C, for fruit growth, the temperature should be higher - + 21 ... 22 ° C. Lemons do not tolerate heat, especially in low humidity. In summer, when it gets sharply warmer, flowers and ovaries can fall, and temperature drops in autumn and winter can lead to leaf falling.
Cultivation of lemons can be carried out by cuttings or seeds. A tree grown from a seed will bloom and begin to bear fruit no earlier than after 8 years. If you plant a stalk, you’ll wait for your own lemons after 4 years. A baby lemon grown from a seed does not necessarily inherit the characteristics of the variety from the parent tree, and when grafted, the identity is guaranteed. But trees and seeds are more resistant to disease and better adapt to life in captivity.
The following varieties of indoor lemon are grown at home:
- Pavlovsky. Breeding grade. Lemon tree is tall, reaches 2 m in height. The crown is thick, but small. Its diameter does not exceed 1 m. In a year, the tree produces 25-45 fruits with a bright sour taste and a small amount of seeds inside. The skin is rough, its thickness is 3-5 mm. The fruits are medium sized. The length of one lemon reaches 10-12 cm, and the weight does not exceed 160 g.
- Lunario. Variety with high productivity. It is also used for decorative purposes. In height, a home lemon tree grows to 1.5 m. There are thorns on the branches. The fruits are in the form of an oblong oval. The pulp is incomplete, but has a bright taste. Lemon is able to bloom and bear fruit at the same time.
- Ponderosis. Lemon tree is unpretentious to growing conditions, resistant to drought. The height of the plant reaches 1.7 m. The tree has a dense lush crown. The fruits have a juicy sweetish flesh. The variety quickly begins to bear fruit.
- Meyer. A small dwarf plant, whose height reaches 1.2 m. The lemon tree has a spherical crown with a small number of thorns. The fruit mass is 150-200 g. The peel is thin, has an orange tint. The shade of lemon tree flowers is red. There are marks on the branches.
Planting a lemon tree at home in a pot is made from seeds. Planting material is taken from purchased fruits. To plant seeds, lemons choose a large size. For successful cultivation, special soil is selected.
To plant a lemon tree use:
- purchased soil for citrus,
- flower mix
- peat ground
- leaf soil
- ground with sand and organic fertilizers.
Lemons prefer light slightly acidic soil with good water permeability. Growing starts in a small pot or cup. Also for indoor lemon drainage is needed.
Lemon needs good lighting
- Place drainage at the bottom of the pot. Its volume should not exceed 20% of the total size of the pot.
- Pour a layer of substrate on top. It is loosened to fluffiness. The soil should not be higher than the neck of the pot.
- Plant the seeds. They are placed to a depth of 1.5-2 cm. Seeds are planted immediately after extraction from the fruit.
- Place the pot in a bright room. For seeds, a suitable temperature is 19 ° C-21 ° C.
It is better to plant 10-15 seeds at a time. This will allow you to choose the strongest sprouts for transplanting. Pottery shards, nutshells or small pebbles are suitable as drainage. Also, before planting, the seeds are treated with biostimulants.