Ceiling decoration is the most difficult stage in the repair of a home. Although in our time there are many offers on the construction market in this area, for example, suspended and suspended ceilings, PVC ceilings, consumers still prefer painting because of its cheapness and the ability to make repairs on their own.
In our article, we will consider in detail all the stages of painting ceilings with our own hands.
The most important thing that you need to know for the home craftsman is that you need to paint the ceiling before decorating the walls and floor, since all surfaces can be sprayed with paint. You need to start with the choice of materials and tools for the job.
The main tools of the painter:
- paint roller
- construction spatula
- wide paint brush
- overalls and stepladder,
- container for paint
- some narrow brushes
Before starting work, the brushes and rollers need to be soaked in water to allow them to get wet. Then these tools need to be tested in work - first they should be dried, then tested on any surface.
You need to choose the right roller for your chosen type of paint.
We will talk about the choice of paint a little later, but on the roller we dwell in more detail. This tool will have to carry out the bulk of the work, so when buying, you need to take his choice seriously. In the store you can see a large assortment of rollers, they are fur, foam, sheepskin, velor, etc.
Experts advise using a tool made of faux fur. Natural sheepskin is too expensive, foam and velor are uncomfortable.
So, the tool was chosen, the room for repair was freed, now you need to prepare the ceiling itself.
Ceiling surface preparation for painting
Preparation of the ceiling for painting combines the removal of the old finish, leveling its surface and coating with a primer.
Before painting, the surface of the ceiling must be examined in detail. If you notice cracks or potholes, carefully clean the plate with a spatula to its very base. The cracks are moistened with water and sealed with a putty or plaster mixture. If there are small protrusions, they can be sanded with sandpaper. Constantly measure the height difference with a building level, they should not be more than one centimeter. This is the most tedious stage of repair. It requires a lot of endurance and accuracy, but the future result of painting depends on it.
After you have leveled the entire ceiling plate, you need to get rid of dust. Clean the room from dry dust with a vacuum cleaner or a broom.
Next, proceed to the final phase of the preparatory work before painting the ceiling - the primer.
If you want to save on primer and abandon this process, remember - the surface of the plate will take away all the moisture from the paint, and it will soon crack. Usually on a can of paint it is written which primer is better to use. The ceiling can be primed with one layer. Wait until the primer is completely dry and you can start painting.
How to paint the ceilings with your own hands
Professional painters can suggest subtleties that will be very useful when painting the ceiling correctly. Proper painting of the ceiling requires some skills and dexterity that can be quickly learned.
- Start painting the ceiling from the corners of the room. First, paint the corners farthest from the entrance with a thin brush, then go to the roller. The first brush stroke is done on its own, and the subsequent ones are vice versa.
- Work the roller evenly. To avoid smudges, roll the roller in a small amount of paint.
- When painting the ceiling with a brush, press the ceiling evenly to avoid dripping paint from the brush. It is recommended to keep the brush perpendicular to the corner of the surface to be painted. You should get a fairly wide strip that you need to shade. Periodically get down from the stepladder and consider the result of work, highlighting with a lamp.
- In no case should drafts and strong temperature fluctuations be allowed.
- Carefully care for the tools when painting the ceiling. Brushes need to be washed thoroughly in warm water between work.
Painting ceilings with water-based paint
Choosing paint for the ceiling is a rather difficult process.
Nowadays, there is a huge variety of water-based paints. They are popular because of the affordable price, lack of smell and good quality of painting. Consider the following types of water-based paints with additives:
- polyvinyl acetate.
If you want to paint ceilings in enclosed spaces (basements, saunas, attics), then you should use silicate paints. Silicate water-based paints contain substances that prevent the appearance of fungi and mold.
Silicone paints can be applied directly to the plaster, without using a primer. It is a good choice for bathrooms and kitchens. They also have mold protection.
Acrylic paints are an excellent choice for painting ceilings in residential premises and in kitchens. They are resistant to soot, smoke, and have good abrasion resistance. These are the most popular paints.
Painting the ceiling with water-based paint requires compliance with certain nuances so that no traces of the brush or roller are visible. It is important to take into account the direction of the light flux during painting, and observe certain time intervals for the paint to dry.
In working with water-based paint, you will need some tools:
- container for paint
- bath under the roller,
- round and flat brushes for painting in hard to reach places
- foam sponge, for wall decor,
- a roller mounted on a long stalk for painting the ceiling,
- spray gun, textured,
- rags, to eliminate paint drips from the brush, floor contamination.
Long-sleeved clothing should be prepared to prevent paint from getting on the skin.
Removing old whitewash and paint
The elimination of the previous layer of whitewash, this is a necessary condition for painting. If you apply paint to an old finish, there is a risk of the destruction of the new coating. It is better to clean the walls and ceiling as follows:
The ceilings are washed off with water or 3% vinegar solution, the residue is cleaned with a spatula.
Walls painted with oil or latex paint are freed in the following ways:
- with a drill
- heating with a building hairdryer
- cleaning surfaces with a scraper, wire brush,
- washing off with chemical liquids.
With mechanical removal, a lot of dust occurs, for this you need to use a respirator. Solvents do not always give a positive result.
Filling and priming
Putty finishing, followed by priming, gives a high quality repair. As a result, the life of the painted surface is increased. Putty application smooths the surface, eliminates minor and large defects. Next, the walls are primed, this increases the adhesive properties of materials, destroys dust.
Preparation of the composition
Too viscous emulsion diluted with water. If the surface is painted with a spray gun, the mixture can be diluted with a special liquid (diluent). It can be bought at a hardware store. It turns out the paint with the optimal consistency, which will allow you to paint the ceiling without any problems.
Manual staining is done in stages. In this case, adhere to the following rules:
Pour the prepared paint into the bath in small portions.
First, paint over the borders of the surface to be painted with a brush to exclude adjacent areas from accidental entries.
The roller is lowered into the tray, scroll, distributing the paint over the entire surface.
They begin to paint from the ceiling line downward, evenly rolling along the wall. If the drops fall on the bottom of the wall, they are rolled out.
Processing is performed several times. When the first coat dries, apply the next.
Attention! All layers must be dried in series to avoid streaks. At the end of the work, the room is tightly closed so that there are no drafts and pollution.
Application by spray gun
Staining can be carried out from a spray gun. The device looks like a cylinder with a supercharger, which delivers paint under pressure to the sprayer. Adaptations are mechanical and electrical. Regardless of the model, the principle of operation for all and the end result is almost the same.
Positive aspects of spray painting:
- Economical paint consumption.
- Uniform distribution.
- Fast work on large areas.
Create a textured surface
There are several methods to get the original finish.
- Thick paint without spreading is applied to the wall. A coarse-grained structure is formed, which is processed from above with a brush or spray gun.
- Using a flat brush (flute), a thick layer of paint is applied. Try to make parallel furrows.
- Water is sprayed onto a wall painted in several layers in a direction parallel to the floor. The effect of smudges is formed.
- A special textured roller is rolled on a freshly painted surface. It turns out an interesting ornament.
- To get a marble pattern, you need to cover the wet wall with cling film. After removal, a stone texture appears.
- An interesting design can be created with a sponge. For this, a coloring composition is applied over a water-based paint with a thick layer. Then with a sponge an additional layer is gradually applied by point movements of the hand. When the surface hardens, the protruding parts are painted in dark shades. This method visually enlarges the room. One drawback - increased material consumption.
Features of dyeing wet rooms
Coloring the bathroom and kitchen has its own nuances. Here, increased attention to the choice of material, where it is necessary to take into account the humidity of the premises. The best option is an interior wash acrylic paint. It contains components that, when applied, form an impermeable thin film. Manufacturers add antibacterial and antifungal excipients to the solution. They eliminate the appearance of mold on the walls, thereby extending the life of the coating.
Rating of interior paints
Today, there are a lot of tools for decoration. Popular brands are high quality, good adhesive properties and ease of application. Buyers are often interested in: which water-based paint is better?
Now such brands of famous manufacturers are in demand:
Farbitex acrylic interior paint: color - white, texture - matte. Used for interior use. Dries quickly, has almost no smell. Suitable for coloring in pastel colors.
Vgt is white with medium moisture resistance. Resists exposure to low temperatures, 5 freezing cycles. The coating “breathes”, does not turn yellow in the sun.
Dulux acril matt is a latex matte paint with a high covering ability. It camouflages bumps well and lasts a long time.
Tikkurila is a series of matte paints that have proven excellent durability. Suitable for repairs in dry and wet rooms. They are recommended for work in children's rooms.
Water-based paint for ceilings or walls is an ideal option for repairs in any room. It is safe, meets all quality requirements.
Advantages of painting walls:
- To paint the walls, you have to prepare them very high quality. This step includes leveling, repairing all cracks and crevices, and much more. This process will significantly strengthen the walls, and you can not worry about them for a long time.
- Painted walls are easy to upgrade. It is enough to tint the areas that need a little “refresh”. Such an easy repair does not take much time and does not require large investments.
- Painted walls are easy to clean. Due to the fact that they are not afraid of water, almost any pollution can be easily cleaned from them.
- By painting the walls, you can not worry about the fact that playing a pet will damage them.
- A variety of colors, shades and textures of paints will help create the most incredible interior in your home.
- Painted walls will allow you to forget about a new repair for a long time. With proper care, they will retain their beautiful appearance for more than 10 years.
Disadvantages of painting walls:
- Preparing walls for painting will require quite a lot of effort. Ideally, it is worth hiring a specialist to ensure that all work is done correctly.
- The initial painting of bare walls requires a certain skill. If you are not sure that you can cope on your own, it is better to invite a master in this matter.
- Painted walls absorb fine dirt and dust. You will need to wash them regularly.
- Painted walls are quite resistant to mechanical damage, but, unfortunately, they are not shockproof.
- If you do not want to see boring plain walls in your home, you need to be prepared for higher finishing costs.
- leveling walls and eliminating small defects - puttying,
- coating the walls with soil to protect against moisture and mold,
- finish finish. At this final stage of decoration, the room is decorated using your chosen paint.
Types of paints
For painting rooms, as a rule, the following paint options are chosen:
- water emulsion
It is very simple to apply a water-based paint. Paint with a tint of the required shade is thoroughly mixed and applied using a roller with a nap; in corners and inaccessible places, paint is applied with a brush. Another advantage of this paint is that if you need to apply 2 or 3 layers, there is no need to wait until the previous applied layer dries.
Alkyd paint can be used both indoors and for painting outdoor elements. This paint is not afraid of aggressive effects, which is why humidity and high temperatures that are in the kitchen, she does not care. Alkyd paints do not lose their original bright color for a long time.
To apply alkyd paint is a little more difficult than water based paint. This is due to the fact that the paint has a denser texture. Apply this paint in at least two layers. The first coat is always applied with a brush. The first coat of paint is applied in a zigzag fashion and shaded in different directions. The second layer is applied with a roller in an even, vertical layer. If you plan to apply the third layer, then the paint must be applied horizontally (the fourth layer - again vertically, etc.) It is imperative to wait for each layer to dry before applying a new one.
Polyurethane and epoxy paints have increased resistance to moisture. The main disadvantage of these paints is their rather high price. Nevertheless, choosing it, you make a choice in favor of long operation.
Previously, for painting rooms with high humidity was also used Oil paint. Oil paint dries for more than a day, besides it has an unpleasant smell, it cracks quite quickly and is difficult to remove from the walls. Plus, oil paints are toxic and are not recommended for indoor use.
Matte or glossy paint?
All paints offered on the market are divided according to the degree of gloss. There are several different degrees of gloss of paint.
- Matte paint. Well suited for rooms where it is necessary to mask the unevenness of the walls. Matte paint is not suitable for rooms in which they can become dirty, it is afraid of water and washing.
- Semi-matt. Unlike matte, they have a subtle shine.
- Satin effect paint. It hides surface defects, has a matte texture, but tolerates water well.
- Semi-gloss paint. Moisture-resistant and durable paint, suitable for rooms with a high degree of humidity and pollution.
- Glossy paint. It is the most durable and durable paint. You should be careful when choosing this type of paint. She emphasizes the flaws of the walls. Therefore, if you decide to use glossy paint for decoration, you will need to prepare the walls well.
What is wall texturing?
Texturing walls is a great way to add some zest to your room. The process of texturing walls is quite simple, but requires patience. For this, special glaze is usually used. You can apply it with a brush or cloth.
Выделяют сухой способ текстурирования — глазурь наносится при помощи кисти, после нанесения тканью делаются отпечатки. And also a wet method - glaze is immediately applied with a cloth.
There is another way of texturing - knurling. In this case, the fabric is carried out along the surface of the glaze in a certain direction. Angles require special attention in texturing; it is best to use small brushes in them.
Texturing the walls will create an incredible interior to your taste, and will decorate any room in the house.
We already wrote about one way of decorating the ceiling. You can read about it on our website.
Ceiling decoration is the most difficult step in the entire repair. Whitewashing has long gone down in history, and today a fairly popular type of ceiling decoration is its painting with water-based paint. The painted ceiling retains its appearance longer, is easy to clean and can be quickly refreshed by tinting some areas.
Emulsion ceiling paint can be with different additives. For example, you may come across this choice:
- Polyvinyl acetate paint. This is the simplest and cheapest version of emulsion paint, it can only be used in dry rooms, it is strictly forbidden to clean such a ceiling with water.
- Acrylic paint. The most popular type of emulsion paint. This type of paint has a high resistance to moisture. Acrylic painted ceilings are allowed to be washed.
- Latex paint. Allows you to get the perfect washable surface. The main disadvantage will be the high price.
- Silicone paint. Choosing this option, you can not apply the primer before the paint. This type of paint is ideal for kitchens and bathrooms, as it has good vapor permeability. This type of paint also protects the surface from fungi and mold.
First of all, the ceiling must be prepared by cleaning it from the old finish. That is, you should prepare for the long process of removing old whitewash or paint. After that, wash the surface with soap.
After cleaning, the ceiling is leveled, putty, sanded and primed.
Ceiling painting should be started from the corners and joints, first of all the corner is painted, which is the farthest from the entrance to the room. Corners and joints are painted over with a wide brush. After that, the remainder of the ceiling is painted with a roller. The first coat of paint is always applied perpendicular to the window, the second coat is applied parallel to it. The third is superimposed towards the window.
Before applying each new layer, it is necessary that the previous one has time to dry. This may take approximately 10 hours.
If you need to paint the plastered ceiling, then you can use a special spray gun for this. Using a spray gun allows you to apply paint in an even, thin layer. Before you start using the spray gun, we recommend a little practice.
We recommend that you watch this short video that will tell you how to choose the paint for the ceiling and paint it.
Painting walls and ceilings allows you to create your own unique design in your home. Do not forget also that in a cozy house should be not only beautiful, but also warm. To determine which type of heating is more suitable for you, we recommend that you read our article in which we compare wood heating and heating with liquefied gas.
Ceiling spray gun - save time
If you have a large painting area or just high ceilings, the application process with rollers and brushes will be very, very time-consuming. To simplify the work, there is such a convenient tool as a spray gun, or spray gun.
A manual spray gun is a device consisting of a spray gun in the form of a hose, a long tank and a pump. Such spray guns allow you to paint about 200-300 square meters of ceiling area in 1 hour.
Painting the ceiling with a spray gun will save your time and has a number of advantages over hand painting. Let's consider these advantages in more detail:
- when spraying paint on the ceiling there are no stains left,
- painting speed
- almost complete absence of paint contamination during repairs,
- lower paint consumption
- good coloring of inaccessible places.
Spray guns come in several forms: electric, manual, airless and pneumatic. The cheapest and easiest to use are, of course, hand-held spray guns.
To choose the right spray gun, you need to pay attention to its body, what material it is made of. The best devices that will last you a long time are made of aluminum. If you are going to make repairs only in your apartment, and this is not a permanent job for you, you can limit yourself to acquiring an inexpensive manual or electric spray gun.
Mistakes when painting the ceiling
The most common mistakes made when repairing a ceiling are the desire to save on paint and tools for work. You can’t buy the cheapest paint and the simplest paint roller and expect a good result.
If you violate the paintwork technology, spots may appear on the surface of the ceiling. This may occur for the following reasons:
- the initially poor quality of the putty on the ceiling,
- the first coat of paint was applied unevenly.
Yellowish spots of salt may appear on a white background, the so-called efflorescence. They appear due to the presence of mineral salts in the mortar.
In these cases, you need to remove the paint on the ceiling with sandpaper and paint the surface again. It is recommended to dry the ceiling, apply a special anti-salt solution, which is sold in stores, and apply another coat of paint.
There are times that you can notice poorly stained sections of the ceiling when all the work has already been completed. Further painting of these areas is impractical, you need to redo it again.
Traces of a roller or brush may appear on the surface of the ceiling over time. The reason for this phenomenon is that the paint was too thick. This area should be carefully cleaned with pumice or sandpaper and painted again.
So, we can conclude that the process of painting the ceiling is quite simple, but you need to relate to it with careful preparation. It is necessary to observe the painting technology in all respects, since all the slightest shoals and errors are visible on the ceiling.