If you ask any passerby what America is famous for, then he will surely name three things - jeans, McDonald's and chewing gum. And that is absolutely true. That's just about the last celebrity we will lead our story. What is chewing gum made of and how is it really useful and can it be made independently? And also you will learn some interesting facts about the sweet and tasty-smelling gum that has captivated adults and children around the world.
Why chew this?
Today it is difficult to say how long and where exactly the chewing gum appeared. Our ancestors discovered it for themselves several thousand years ago. True, she did not look at all like her contemporary, but still brought considerable benefit. Mostly, tree gum was used as gum. She helped cleanse teeth from plaque, freshened her breath and disinfected her oral cavity, because resin was an excellent antiseptic. In the northern regions of our country, especially in villages, many residents still know perfectly well what sulfur is (resin of deciduous trees). Some nations preferred wax, others, such as the Mayan tribe, the dried sap of a rubber tree. It was from him that the generation of modern chewing gums came. Surely each of us will be interested to know how to make chewing gum today.
A bit of history
In the mid-19th century, John Curtis made his first attempt at producing gum from wood resin, but the business failed and the enterprise soon closed. But Thomas Adams was able to quite adequately implement the idea of his predecessor. But he began to make chewing gum from rubber with the addition of liquorice. After only a few decades, the gum acquired a pleasant taste and aroma, it was wrapped in a beautiful wrapper and widely popularized among the inhabitants of America. Needless to say, she quickly gained recognition and soon scattered around the world.
- Chewing gum is considered a symbol of America thanks to the world famous company Wrigley. It was she who decided to present to everyone who crossed the border of the United States a chewing plate as a gift (well, for self-promotion, of course).
What are we chewing?
So how do chewing gum today? The basis for the production are synthetic materials, which include a mixture of plasticizers, resins, elastomers and other additives, which are often derived from petroleum products. Simply put, it's rubber and plastic. The mixture is thoroughly cleaned, and then a sweetener is added - sugar or dextrose, various flavors, flavors and, of course, food coloring. The mass is heated and thoroughly kneaded to become uniform and elastic.
How to make chewing gum in the future? It is driven through a special press that forms long rubber strips, and a special device cuts them into portions. After the gum is wrapped in a beautiful wrapper, put up in boxes and in this form it will go to store shelves.
- Ordinary chewing gum saved the plane from a crash in 1911. With its help, resourceful Englishmen closed up a hole in the engine and managed to avoid tragedy. The news has spread all over the world. Not a bad chewing gum advertisement, is it?
Is advertising worth believing?
Surely, having learned about what chewing gum is made of, you will have a question about whether such a product is really useful, because there are so many additives in it, and chewing gum is probably not useful. Perhaps someone knows whether and how to make chewing gum at home?
The debate about the benefits and harms of chewing gum has been going on for many years. Like any product, it has its advantages: it is really able to clean plaque from tooth enamel. And its disadvantages: the manufacturer may not be completely honest and add health-hazardous additives to the treat. When you put a chewing plate in your mouth, your brain thinks it's lunch time and starts preparing your body for food. Yes, only food does not enter the stomach, and this can easily provoke gastritis or an ulcer.
But I wonder what gum "Orbits" are made of? After all, dentists all over the world recommend it! To be sincere to the end, such a chewing gum will not protect your teeth, but simply will destroy less enamel than any other. Its composition differs in only one - the use of a sugar substitute. Sugar is added to the bulk of chewing gum, and it badly affects tooth enamel.
- It is often believed that chewing gum is pink because it is a symbol of youth, tenderness and love. But in fact, the first chewing gum was pink only because it was the only paint that was available to its creator at that time.
We make chewing gum ourselves
Resourceful minds do not sit idly by. There are many ideas on how to make homemade gum yourself. To do this, you will need a bag of gelatin, water, ½ cup of powdered sugar, 20 g of beeswax, 100 g of honey in a honeycomb.
Gelatin should be poured with a small amount of water to swell. Cut the honeycombs into pieces, place in the baking sleeve and send to the microwave to allow the mass to melt. Now you need to add gelatin and wax to it. Stir the mass for several minutes until all components have dissolved. Cool, and then send the chewing gum to the refrigerator for half an hour. It remains to cut it into portioned pieces and sprinkle with powdered sugar so that they do not stick together.
By the way, you can make not only edible gum. There are many videos on the net about how Mr. Max makes hand gum. This is a great educational toy for the whole family.
- Once, in order to clean the sidewalks in Beijing from chewing gum, it was spent about 120,000 dollars. Since then, law enforcement officers have fined everyone who decides to spit out chewing gum on the city streets.
Simple and delicious
This is perhaps the easiest and fastest way to make gum. It is suitable for those for whom taste is not so important as the freshness of breath. This chewing gum will thoroughly brush your teeth and will not get bored. The list of all necessary ingredients is so simple that anyone can handle it. A set of necessary products can be bought at the nearest supermarket.
The following is a recipe to make chewing gum at home. You will need:
- starch - 10 g
- gum base - 1 pack,
- corn syrup - 5 g,
- mint leaves - 20 pcs. They significantly improve the taste.
First you need to put the gum base in the microwave. Enough and 90 seconds, no longer needed. Then we mix all the resulting mass with syrup and bring to a homogeneous state.
Next, you need to build a small slide from starch, put on it a ready-made mixture of syrup and the basis for chewing gum. Mix all this thoroughly until something like a dough forms.
Now it's up to the mint. Squeeze as much juice from its leaves as possible and add to the resulting mass. All ingredients should be mixed well and sent to the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Before cooling, do not forget to give it the necessary shape. Wait until everything hardens and enjoy the taste of a natural product at home.
Better than the store
How to make a simple chewing gum at home so that it does not differ in taste from the one bought in the store? The question is complex, but solvable. The second cooking recipe will require a little more time and components. But chewing gum will turn out really tasty.
To get started - a list of everything you need:
- fruit juice - 100 ml,
- gelatin - 1 pack,
- starch - 1 tsp,
- water - 100ml
- lemon juice,
- sugar syrup - 300ml.
For cooking, you will again need a microwave. Heat the fruit juice in it and add it to the gelatin. Set aside until the mass swells. Then pour sugar syrup into a cup and warm it a little. If desired, you can add a special food supplement or dye. Once the syrup is warm enough, add the swollen starch with gelatin to it. All that happened, you need to mix until smooth, and then strain thoroughly through a sieve. Now we send the resulting mass to the refrigerator for 8-9 hours, and then try and compare, which is tastier.
Fragrant Strawberry Gum
For lovers of fruit snacks, there is another useful way: how to make chewing gum at home, a recipe that makes it taste like strawberries? This option is great for families with small children.
So, going to the store for the necessary ingredients, do not forget to include in the list:
- chewing gum base - 1 st. l
- food coloring red or pink,
- strawberry flavoring - 7-8 drops,
- powdered sugar - 10 g
- citric acid - 5 g,
- glycerin - 5-6 ml,
- corn syrup - 5 g.
For starters, lay aside powdered sugar and strawberry flavor. Mix everything else thoroughly and put in the microwave for about 1 minute. After that, add the strawberry flavor and mix again.
Spread the resulting mixture on icing sugar and mix until it becomes completely thick. From the resulting mass, we make plates of any shape: squares, circles, flowers, animals. You can use special ready-made molds. Then we put it all in the refrigerator for 4 hours. If desired, the finished chewing gum can be packaged in multi-colored candy wrappers.
Chewing gum with honey
How to make chewing gum at home so that it turns out to be really tasty? It is not easy, but still quite doable.
This will require:
- chewing mass - 1 st. a spoon,
- honey - 1h. a spoon,
- sugar - 2 tbsp. spoons
- flavoring to taste - 1 teaspoon,
- food coloring - a small pinch.
First, put the chewing mass in a water bath and heat it for at least 20 minutes, stirring all the time. Then gently add honey, flavor, sugar and color. All slowly slowly stir. Then remove the resulting mass from the fire and cool. You can try right away.
Another option of berries with fruits
At home, you can make a toffee of fruits or berries. Moms usually like this recipe because the ingredients are natural. You need to take your favorite fruits, berries or mix. Great recipe.
To prepare chewing gum you will need:
- about 5 liters of berries or fruits,
- boiling water - 0.5 l,
- 2-3 tbsp. tablespoons of sugar
- gelatin (1 sachet),
- cold water 1/2 cup.
- Rinse all the fruits. Then peel and chop. Put everything in a suitable pan. Brew boiling water and pour, let it stand.
- Now simmer for no more than 20 minutes. It depends on which composition you choose.
- Look into the pan, and if the fruits are boiled, then you need to drain the compote. Drink on health.
- Add sugar there and continue cooking to thicken.
- Introduce gelatin into this mass. It is pre-dissolved in water. Mix everything.
- Lubricate the table or board with sunflower oil and spread the mixture. Let it harden.
The basis is latex
Will be required ingredients such as:
- gum base, or the same mass for chewing - 1 tbsp. l.,
- liquid fresh honey, or syrup to your taste - 1 tsp.,
- 1 tsp flavoring
- dye optional.
We cook sequentially.
- The gum base needs to be warmed up in a water bath. Stir constantly.
- Do not remove from the fire, but introduce syrup. Stir everything.
- Enter half the icing sugar. Here is the flavor and, if necessary, the dye.
- Powder that remains, sprinkle thinly on the table.
- Spread the hot base on a table or board sprinkled with powder, and roll in sugar.
- The mass will cool soon. Keep rolling it in powder. Now form a sausage and cut into portions.
Based on Gum base
On this basis, gum base chewing gum is even more like a purchase. Buy it at the supermarket, you can order it online.
- basics 1 tbsp. l.,
- 1 tbsp. l corn syrup
- starch about 30 g
- dye, if you decide to use,
- any supplements you want.
Heat the base a little in the microwave. It should be softer. Now inject the syrup. Mix everything well. Pour starch onto a board or table, and into it our mass. Knead the toffee on the starch, as if kneading the dough.
Now introduce flavoring or coloring agents. Mix well thoroughly. Roll the mixture into thin sausages and cut neat pads or strips to your taste. Chill in the freezer.
Toothpaste + Adhesive Plaster
This recipe will appeal to teens who like to experiment. Are required ingredients such as:
- adhesive tape, in which there is no impregnation, - 1 roll,
- toothpaste of your favorite taste 1 or 2 tbsp. l.,
- water 1 l.
Cooking according to the algorithm.
- Take the bucket and pour water into it. Put on the gas.
- Dip a plaster in water, bring to a boil and let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take out our adhesive plaster and separate the base from the fabric from the adhesive mass.
- Form a ball from the mass and return to the water.
- Inject toothpaste. It takes 15 minutes to boil everything.
And the rest of the ingredients can be changed to your taste. This refers to fruits with berries and additives for a good aroma and taste. So you learned how to do toffee at home. Choose your recipe and start making.