The day when a dog appears in the house, without exaggeration, will become a significant day in the family. It happens, growing up and turning into a not so cute clumsy puppy, an adult becomes a burden for the owners. Sometimes an adult animal is given to another family, cruel owners are able to drive the animal out into the street. In most cases, the reason is simple: when going to get a dog, the future owner did not think at all about choosing a breed, given his own lifestyle and possibilities. When purchasing an animal, try to carefully analyze the financial possibilities, the degree of employment, the conditions that you will be able to provide the puppy with, and start choosing.
Acquiring a dog
Being interested in how to choose a dog breed, analyze your own schedule and answer a number of questions that make it easier to approach the choice of breed. The presence of an animal in the house involves:
- Additional finance. Assess your own material condition. Will there be enough finances to ensure a normal life and good nutrition for a newly made member of the family.
- Time given to a dog of any breed. Free time is required for everyday care. The dog is waiting for careful and careful care, otherwise the pet's health will begin to deteriorate, and the appearance will change for the worse.
- Each puppy certainly gives the owners "joy" in the form of gnawed shoes, heaps on the carpet, stripped wallpapers and "updated" furniture. It is believed to assess their strength and nerve cells in the ability to perceive damaged things in the first months of a baby's life.
- Answer yourself for what purpose the dog is acquired. Do you need a companion, a security guard for the house, or are you planning to become a professional breeder and earn money. It may not be necessary to purchase an expensive thoroughbred dog if you just need a companion and friend.
- Sometimes the appearance of a four-legged friend requires the owner to change the mode of the day. Will a person like this decision? For 10-15 years, a dog is required to walk every day, and walks are supposed to be long. With a pet you have to conduct classes every day and devote a lot of time and attention to games and education.
- When choosing a dog for the soul, consider the composition of the family, find out about the presence of allergy sufferers among family members.
- Living conditions (apartment or country house with a plot). Does the living area allow you to get a large breed dog or is it better to limit yourself to a decorative dog. It is hardly appropriate to keep a Labrador or a German Shepherd in a one-room Khrushchev.
- It is important to consider in advance the possibility of leaving the dog in another house in case of the necessary departure.
When choosing a breed, honestly answer the above questions and note that the owner of the dog is supposed to be the only one. Otherwise, the animal will not receive the required education, because it does not understand whom to obey. An ill-bred adult is a headache for owners. When getting a dog, get ready to make a commitment to raising a pet. When preparing a gift - ask a person if he is ready to give half the time to a little nonsense.
If a person is confident in the desire and correctly assessed their own capabilities, an immediate purchase is undesirable. From this moment begins a new stage of thinking, which dog to choose, determine the goals, sizes and breed. When choosing a dog, it is important to consider the nuances, including the wishes of family members. Remember, disagreements when choosing a breed or other aspects should be resolved amicably, otherwise the appearance of a long-awaited dog for some family members will negatively affect the rest. The choice of breed is certainly carried out jointly.
Rate yourself as a person. Active athletes and quiet housewives need different breeds of dogs. A number of breeds are known, with which only strong and strong-willed natures are able to cope. Popular decorative breeds will require a lot of time and attention, they can arrange scenes of jealousy if someone decides to approach the adored owner or mistress.
If a person is distinguished by a high degree of activity and is considered a follower of an active healthy lifestyle, he loves a bicycle, runs, skates, an active, agile and nimble dog breed representative is suitable. For example, the Irish Setter, Husky, Greyhound Greyhound.
Calm and balanced future owner let him take a closer look at the retrievers or pugs. It is possible for business active people with a strong-willed character to acquire a German shepherd, Doberman or Rottweiler.
If you are thinking about purchasing a decorative breed, remember that pets need considerable attention. They can be stubborn, extremely nervous and sensitive.
Most dog handlers and breeders recommend bringing up a small puppy. Obvious difficulties are expected with rearing and upbringing, but there is a firm confidence in the upbringing and disposition of the pet. Some people prefer to take an adult dog to avoid the troubles of growth, fuss with vaccinations, childhood illnesses.
Distinctive features of various breeds
By acquiring a dog, a person acquires a new member of the family. When choosing, the vast majority of people primarily pay attention to the appearance of a potential four-legged friend. However, few people take into account the fact that dogs have different characters and behaviors. Let us consider in more detail the signs that are important when choosing a thoroughbred friend. A dozen smart and intelligent dog breeds are listed:
- German Shepherd.
- Labrador, Golden Retriever.
- Belgian Shepherd Dog.
- English Cocker Spaniel.
Think about preference - male or female. In both cases, there are advantages and disadvantages. During the spring “breeze” the behavior of the female changes to a noticeable degree, the males behave a little calmer. Think about whether the plans for fussing with offspring. Males in the mentioned plan are less problematic, but more often independent and independent.
Any dog requires grooming. Selected breeds need constant combing and care. If you plan to keep a pet in the apartment, get ready for the need to constantly clean the wool on the carpets. Consider allergic reactions to dog hair in family members. Poods are considered low allergenic to humans.
This is an important nuance, males and females require different care. Both sexes show positive and negative traits.
According to dog handlers, bitches are often emotionally unprotected and become much closer to a person than individuals of the opposite sex. It is believed that girls are easier to perceive educational procedures, complaisants, with appropriate documents used to breed puppies. The female is attracted to males no more than 2 times a year, and the availability of access opens up the possibility of breeding for owners.
Factors are added to the obvious disadvantages of the content of bitches: the danger of an unplanned pregnancy, estrus. Often there are difficulties with a false pregnancy and complications against this background. If you do not plan to breed puppies, it is worth considering sterilization. About care and increased attention during pregnancy is not worth talking about.
Dogs are emotionally more assertive, energetic, characterized by recklessness and uncontrolled joy. We are glad to give positive emotions to the owners every day, not giving rest. Among the positive qualities of the dog, increased activity and the absence of difficulties associated with pregnancy are distinguished. There are no restrictions regarding participation in competitions and exhibitions, which is explained by the highest degree of compliance with breed standards.
The disadvantages include increased interest in the opposite sex, all year round. Expressed desire to dominate and take a leading position. Raising a dog, mainly a service breed, should be given increased attention. With the right and clear approach, they are able to show stunning results as a result of training.
Without being an experienced breeder, never start an adult. The best dog of an amateur will be a little puppy, brought up with his own hands. Try to instill the dog the correct behavior, smooth out the sharp corners in the character, adjust to the conditions of stay in the family.
With an adult dog, everything described is problematic. The adult has developed a permanent character, accustomed to certain conditions of detention. Adapting an adult to yourself is difficult, sometimes impossible.
The only plus. An adult animal (with a good upbringing, of course) will not allow itself to make a puddle in the middle of the corridor, nibble shoes and spoil furniture. This is a well-bred adult dog, with grafted norms of behavior.
Choosing a dog for an apartment
People have dogs in order to find a best friend and assistant in psychological matters. With a dog it’s not boring to play sports, it’s fun to go fishing or hunting. But getting a pet, a rare person will think about the comfort of a dog staying in a city apartment.
Having a large breed of dog as a pet in an urban-type apartment is unsafe and difficult. The dog will need to walk, and in places with no people and other animals. Agree that in cities such places are catastrophically small. Secondly, a large dog needs a large space, with its own place and personal territory. This is difficult in apartments with a total area of 40 square meters, where, in addition to the dog, a human family lives in addition. Medium and small dog breeds are mainly suitable for keeping in urban apartments.
The nuances of keeping dogs in the apartment
- Stroll. An adult dog needs to walk 2-3 times a day, and one walk is supposed to be long. In urban conditions, it is not recommended to let the animal out onto the street without the supervision of the owner (as is practiced in villages and villages), this poses a danger to the dog and other people.
- Vaccinations. Wanting to have a healthy dog, to minimize the risk of contracting infectious diseases of the family, you will have to regularly get vaccinations. The domestic dog is often shown to the veterinarian, the beast is more susceptible to diseases and ailments.
- Training. Do not neglect the education and training of city dogs. This is much more important than training a wolfhound sitting on a chain in a village.
- Security. People containing large service dogs in the apartment are required to ensure the safety of others. An ill-bred and uncontrollable animal poses a great threat to the life and health of neighbors.
Medium dog breeds for the apartment are plentiful. Consider the popular representatives of the subgroup.
- Poodle. A beautiful, smart and funny animal will become a favorite member of the family. It is recommended to purchase the indicated breed of dog in families with children. Often, elderly single people choose a dog breed because of kindness, sincerity and poise. The only difficulty in maintaining is regular hair care. The poodle needs to be combed daily, if necessary, to cut.
- English Cocker Spaniel. The dog has long been intended for hunting, but today it is common in apartments. This is a good breed of dogs, getting along well with children and other pets. It does not require special efforts in education and training. Unpretentious and smart. Before buying a breed, keep in mind that the English Cocker Spaniel needs long walks, and the dog also has plenty of time to run around.
- Boxer. A smart and masterful dog will bring a lot of joys and happy moments in family life. Dog breed requires respect. There are no shortcomings in the breed, except for the fact: raising a puppy, you will need to constantly maintain the leadership of the owner.
Small dog breeds serve as friends and protectors for the apartment.
- Pug. Funny dogs willingly become members of the family. They are able to support the child in the game, help mom concentrate on the kitchen, and watch football on television with pleasure. A more companionable dog is unlikely to be found. Pugs are reluctant to be trained, but they are able to understand a person at first glance, subject to full understanding.
- Scotch terrier. In ancient times it was a hunting breed of dogs, but thanks to its excellent watchdog qualities, the dog became domesticated. Scotch terrier is a wayward dog, distrustful of others and rarely perceives more than one owner.
Small dog breeds for an apartment
Small dog breeds for apartments today are becoming very popular. Dogs are bought more often as an addition to the graceful appearance of the hostess or owner.
- Pekingese. It is considered the best representative of small breeds of dogs intended for living in an apartment. The Pekingese is unpretentious in food, unobtrusive, not capricious and always adapts to the owner. To make the dog look appropriate, it is important to keep the coat clean and smooth.
- Toy Terrier. The most popular nowadays are small domestic dogs. Babies have a capricious character, are unfriendly to strangers and are often exposed to diseases. If you decide to purchase that terrier, you should be prepared to give the dog exceptional attention and care.
Smooth and Longhair Dogs
Undoubtedly, smooth-haired dog breeds are more suitable for longhair for an apartment. They do not require a picky attitude to wool, do not fade and do not bring hitched burrs from a walk. But smooth-haired dogs also need grooming. Dogs are supposed to scratch with special brushes.
Calm dog breeds for keeping in an apartment are recommended more often than mischievous ones. Silent representatives of canine breeds are: collies, labradors, retrievers.
To choose the right breed of dog, you should decide on the goals of the establishment of the animal. Would you like to see a great watchman and guard in the dog, either a magnificent and faithful companion, or just a small affectionate four-legged friend.
Analyze if desires match capabilities. If you want to get a representative who is destined to become an ideal guard, think about whether there is time to train your pet.
When choosing a small dog for the soul, keep in mind that selected decorative breeds are physically unable to endure loneliness. From constant loneliness, the dogs become sick, the character deteriorates.
If you have not previously kept a dog, do not get representatives of aggressive breeds that require constant rigor. Dogs often begin to challenge the owner’s right to leadership in the family.
Progress does not stand still. Despite the use of high technology, a person, as before, seeks to get a dog that can protect the territory. According to statistics, the majority of attackers are much more affected by the presence of a formidable guard in the form of a dog, rather than a burglar alarm and CCTV cameras.
For hundreds of years, leading positions in the field of protection have been occupied by shepherd dogs and fighting dogs, for example, boxers, mastiffs, rottweilers. Do not think that only the listed breeds are suitable as guards. For apartment maintenance, it is better to stop at a less dangerous and calmer variety of guard dogs. For example, a bulldog or sharpei become full-fledged apartment guards and wonderful companions.
When choosing a dog to guard at home, consider the needs and sizes of the animal. Guard dogs are urged to constantly train and move. Psam relies space. These dogs are not kept on a chain. The ideal place will be an aviary. Pets will need a lot of master's time. Will have to provide:
- Daily long walks, preferably without a leash.
- Daily workouts.
- Strict daily routine regarding feeding.
Watchdogs are required to undergo socialization, and at an early stage of life, otherwise people and animals in the district will have a hard time. Choosing a dog to guard at home does not only mean acquiring. Such dogs without increased attention will instantly turn into uncontrollable monsters. Consider the fact that a guard dog cannot survive without a lot of free space.
The establishment of a representative of the guard breed in an apartment environment will require constant and long walks from the owner. Moreover, as a place for walking, a spacious area is selected, fenced or remote from people. The watchdog is supposed to be released from the leash so that it runs enough and splashed out energy. Private territory will avoid these difficulties.
Dog for hunting
Choosing a dog for hunting means choosing an excellent companion and family member. К числу указанных собак относятся лабрадоры и ретриверы, лайки и долматинцы, спаниели и терьеры, бассетхаунды и прочие замечательные породы. Животные идеально подходят для содержания в больших семьях с маленькими детьми.
Породы не стремятся доминировать, им свойственно угождать владельцам. Представители пород нуждаются в постоянном движении. Энергичные игры с членами семьи на свежем воздухе – идеальный вариант.
Допустимо содержать в доме и в квартире. But the maintenance in the apartment involves daily long-term walks. Hunt accustomed representatives of hunting species to constant movement. Often animals have hyperactivity.
Among the others, decorative dogs are very popular today, which young ladies love to wear on their hands, make unusual cute hairstyles and wear incredible costumes. It is often believed that such dogs are of very little use, however, with proper education and accurate training, animals are able to compete with large dogs.
Decorative rocks are ideal for keeping in apartments. Representatives of domestic dogs are small in size. Affectionate, get along well with the owners. Take a closer look at the breed of lapdogs: beautiful, affectionate, smart.
Ornamental breeds need training; behavior skills will need to be instilled. Minus of small dogs of decorative breeds: often not able to endure prolonged loneliness, a constant presence of a living soul in the house is required.
How to determine the breed of a dog
To identify the breed of dogs, special identifier identifiers have been developed. The thoroughbred dogs are described in detail in the special standards by which selection is made at exhibitions and for breeding.
The algorithm for determining the breed by external characteristics:
- Determine the size of the dog - measure growth at the withers, determine the format of the body using a tape measure.
- Take a closer look at the shape of the head and face of the pet. Determine the torso format: the ratio of the length of the torso and the height of the dog.
- Important features are the shape and fit of the ears, the shape and position of the tail of the animal, the color and nature of the coat.
- Find a good reference to determine. Use print media and information from the Internet, it is better to combine information: a single source will not provide comprehensive data.
- Having found a similar photo, carefully study the description of the standards. Difficulties arise with mestizos, with the detection of signs of several bloods simultaneously.
- For warranty, check with your veterinarian or dog training club. In large cities, specialized veterinary clinics have been created where it is possible to order a genetic examination of a pet. A reliable way is to purchase a puppy with documents from a professional breeder with a decent reputation.
Where to buy a purebred puppy
You should choose a thoroughbred puppy in special professional nurseries where they breed. Find information on the Internet about the availability of nurseries in the city or in nearby cities. It is permissible to obtain information in a veterinary clinic, in a dog training club.
As a rule, in kennels, puppies are provided with relevant documentation about the origin, state of health and the availability of preventive vaccinations. Experienced and professional breeders will share information about the representatives of the bred breed, give advice after acquiring a pet.
When buying a puppy, inspect a number of nurseries, compare the condition of the puppies, the conditions of detention. If you did not like any of the proposed kids, it is possible to agree on a puppy on order. In the allotted time, it will turn out to be thoroughly prepared for the acquisition of the animal materially and psychologically.
Conventionally, known breeds are divided into 4 groups, determined in connection with the main destinations of representatives included in each breed group. Watchdogs are popular and in demand today. Representatives of the hunting group are no less popular. When choosing a breed, try to evaluate your own nature in an extremely honest way, then it is much easier to choose.
For example, a lazy or super-busy person at work is clearly not suitable for a super-active pet that requires an active lifestyle. A small decorative puppy cannot stand hard, energetic training. A person with a gentle character will not need to have a representative of the fighting breed. Dogs feel the slightest slack of the owner and use the slip in their own interests. Representatives of service breeds also will not be an ideal option for a gentle person, requiring rigor.
A dog is a friend of a person, often reflects the essence of the owner. Try to choose a pet to match yourself, your own character. Then finding a common language with the animal will be much easier.
Are you ready for a new friend
Before shouting: “I want a dog!” And start it, think in advance whether you have enough strength, money and time to care for it. This decision should be approached as seriously as possible.
To do this, analyze:
- Your financial condition. A collar, a muzzle, toys, feed, vitamins, medicines, trips to the veterinarian require considerable cash costs. Therefore, this item is one of the most important on the list. You must have enough funds to satisfy the needs of your comrade.
- Your schedule. The pet will occupy most of your time. You need to walk him at least an hour twice a day and play with him. Remember, a spoiled animal is brought up by you and, in order to avoid disappointment, you need to deal with it from an early age, introduce it to the correct behavior and commands.
- Your place of residence. A large private house or small apartment also affects the decision to make a four-legged friend. Analyze: do your living conditions allow you to take a large dog into your family or is it worth staying on a decorative breed. A large animal takes up a lot of space, it will be cramped with it in a small room.
- Are you ready for devastation in your home. Get ready: boots, clothes, toys, a sofa, wallpaper and other interior items will suffer. The puppy will nibble everything that gets in the way. Before you bring him to your house, pay attention to the things that the mischievous person can reach, remove them in an inaccessible place in advance.
If you have come to the conclusion that you are capable of supporting a pet, the next step should be to determine the purpose: why did you need it.
photo taken from Spyderonlines.ru
The choice of dog breed depends on the goal that you determine for yourself when you purchase it. Free time and living conditions are the main factors that you should consider when choosing an animal. Some most urgently need constant walking, others cannot stand loneliness, others require special control. Focus on that.
We will divide the animals into main species with respect to the purpose of their acquisition and give each characteristic:
- Companion. Their main task is to be close to their master. Usually they are turned on by elderly, lonely people, as well as people with disabilities who need a faithful friend and helper. You will not feel abandoned and useless next to this amazing animal. Great listeners and comrades come out of them who you can rely on. The most famous breeds in this direction are considered Labradors, Retriever, Spitz, Collie, Sheltie. They are distinguished by simplicity in care and maintenance, unpretentiousness in food, physical endurance and obedience.
- Security guard. If you need a reliable watchman, when choosing a breed, you need to take into account the needs and sizes of the pet. You have to give them the maximum of their time, because without proper attention, the animal can turn into a real problem for the whole family. You will need to provide it with everything you need: from long walks to the strict daily routine. They need to be brought up from an early age, paying special attention to training. With proper training, a great guard will grow out of the puppy, which the owner can always rely on. For these purposes, service breeds are suitable: shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers, boxers, pit bull terriers, bullmastiffs. These animals are most developed endurance, physical fitness, guard instinct.
- Hunter. These pets are great for large families with a child. They lack the desire for domination, they try to please their owner. If you need an assistant in the hunt, remember that he will need high physical activity. The animal needs constant movement, so play games with it or go for a run. Among the hunting can be attributed breeds of greyhounds, hounds, huskies, spaniels, retriever, terriers. They have excellent sense of smell, run fast, get along easily with all members of the family, are friends with other animals, and can be trained.
- Homebody. If you want to dilute your gray everyday life with the appearance of a furry comrade, decorative breeds will suit you. Terriers, Chihuahua, Miniature Pinscher, Poodle, Spaniel, Pekingese, Shih Tzu, Pug - suitable for living in an apartment, are small in size, affectionate and get along well with people. They need constant attention and cannot stand loneliness. Their education should be dealt with on an equal basis with other breeds and introduced to the correct behavior from a young age.
Remember that regardless of your purpose of acquiring a pet, it must not be put on a chain. If he lives on the street - build an aviary. This is an important aspect for large breeds that need to constantly move. They are freedom-loving and will be unhappy on a leash.
Which dog is right for you
photo taken from Bagiraclub.ru
Dogs are in no way inferior to humans when it comes to temperament. It is very important to choose a breed that suits you in character. Not every owner is able to cope with a strong-willed and strong by nature animals. Also, not everyone can afford to be next to him hourly, as required by decorative breeds.
If you are active, like to ride a bicycle, run in the mornings, play sports, cannot sit still - you need the same four-legged friend. Breeds such as husky, shepherd, setter, jack russell terriers, rottweilers, dalmatians will support your mobile lifestyle.
If you are a stay-at-home and do not strive for constant movement, treat the evenings by the fireplace and reading books with trepidation, you will be spitz, bulldog, poodle, spaniel, chihuahua and good company.
Does the initiative to get a dog belong to a child? The breeds that get along with children are perfect: beagles, dachshunds, dogs, St. Bernards, huskies. They love children and become real friends and protectors for your child, you will not need to worry about their safety.
The owner and his pet must necessarily coincide in temperament, lifestyle, without interfering with each other being themselves.
Choose a breed of dog for the family
photo taken from Wildfrontier.ru
Very often, novice breeders turn to online resources asking: "Help me choose a dog!". The answers are determined depending on the conditions in which the owner lives, as well as on where the animal will live directly. You can choose a middle breed that can adapt to any life aspects of your family.
If you are looking for a dog for an apartment, you should choose among the breeds that will not bring any particular inconvenience to you, your family and neighbors. These include:
- Yorkshireterrier. Friendly, curious and smart. He treats every household with trepidation, but recognizes only one owner. Do not leave him alone for a long time - he will be sad. Terriers require constant attention. Willingly amenable to training, have a flexible and calm character. They get along well with other pets and children. However, they are real badasses - during a walk he will bark at everyone first.
- Chihuahua. Able to adapt to your life rhythm. They are energetic, characterized by a quick reaction. They are very bold, which seems completely uncharacteristic of their size. They feel human mood well. Able to relieve physical, moral stress, laying down on a sore spot. They are extremely attentive to their owners, strongly attached and are one of the most devoted breeds. They are strongly affected by weather conditions - the Chihuahua does not have a particularly strong immunity, they can easily get sick. Cold weather and heat equally affect their well-being, so owners often use special clothing.
- Pug. This breed is suitable for beginner dog breeders. She quickly gets used to the lifestyle of her owner and easily adapts to home rules. Pugs will easily find a common language with your child. To maintain the health of the pet, it is necessary to walk him for about an hour, since they are inactive. Well succumb to training, and the main motivation is goodies. However, a poor guard will come out of the pug; watchdog skills in this breed are not developed.
- French Bulldog. They have a sharp mindset and a perky temperament. They are kind to all members of the family, without identifying the owner. They get along well with children, protect them while adults are not nearby. French bulldogs are easy to learn, guard qualities are well developed. The minimal complexity of the content allows an inexperienced dog breeder to get this breed. He will feel your mood very subtly: you can count on his support not only in moments of joy, but also in moments of sadness. He will quietly settle at your feet and will express help with all his appearance. Give walks special attention, they should take at least half an hour a day.
Living in an apartment does not oblige you to purchase a small breed. You can quite afford a rottweiler, airedale, Doberman.
photo taken from climat-chik.ru
If you need a dog for a private house, you can afford any breed and not worry about its size. From chihuahua to saint bernard. Consider the large breeds that fit perfectly into your big house:
- Germanshepherd dog. The most universal breed of the existing ones. In it you will find a great friend, a reliable watchman and a faithful companion. These are very smart, loyal, loving, sensitive pets with a strong nervous system, keen hearing and sense of smell. They are characterized by a calm nature and stable temperament, which they also require from their master. Only a balanced and restrained owner will achieve the respect of the animal, and with it complete obedience. Do not hit the shepherd and do not shout at it. Remember, training is the complete establishment of contact between you and your animal. This is a very capable breed, with good training and in the hands of a skilled trainer, it can achieve amazing results.
- Husky. They have extraordinary intellectual potential, which can not be said at first glance. The whole secret of their learning is hidden in personal interest. You will need to learn how to turn the training process into a game. This will interest the pet and increase your authority in the eyes of the husky. An undeniable leader should be next to them, and only he will obey him. At the same time, the breed does not have a watchdog instinct, they are not aggressive and very loving, they easily find a common language with others. This allows you to safely leave a husky with children. They are hardy and in good health.
- Rottweiler. They should not be underestimated, because they are very smart and cunning dogs. They have high intelligence, are peaceful, easily perceive communication with animals and people. They behave very kindly in the family, they will treat the child with care and will never harm him. Well give in to training, will become excellent guards. However, they are very lazy. You need to deal with them and arrange training from an early age so that the Rottweiler gets used to the load.
- Labrador. High intelligence and giftedness are the defining characteristics of the breed. No matter what lifestyle you lead, the Labrador will be able to adjust independently. Next to the dog you will feel safe. They have a balanced character, so you can safely leave a pet with a child - it will not harm the baby. At any moment he’s ready to help, he won’t get confused. It gets along easily with other animals.
The dog is deservedly considered the best friend of a person, mirroring the essence of his character. You need to choose her to match your character, it will help you easily find a common language with her.
What is a dog for?
To choose the right puppy and subsequently not regret your decision, first of all, you need to sincerely answer your question: "Why do I need a dog?" Depending on the breed, dogs can act as guards, watchmen, hunters, companions, or simply true friends. Perhaps you have dreamed all your life of walking outdoors with a Siberian husky, or you are closer to evening on the couch with a miniature toy terrier at your side, or maybe you want to spend your time royally in the company of Welsh Corgi? Some owners are crazy about long-haired breeds, with which you can experiment with hairstyles and buy funny accessories for them, while other owners prefer shorthair animals that you do not have to vacuum daily.
Before you get a dog, carefully weigh the pros and cons. Make sure that your family members support this venture, and the psychological climate in the house is quite calm. Read articles about the care and maintenance of dogs, evaluate your strength.
Если решение взять щенка принято, и оно непоколебимо, нужно определиться, для чего собака нужна именно вам, и, соответственно, какую породу, пол и категорию питомцев рассматривать.
Собаки любой породы делятся на 3 класса.
- Пет. В переводе с английского pet означает «домашнее животное». Из названия следует, что к этой категории относятся простые собаки «для дома». They cannot participate in exhibitions and are not suitable for breeding due to any deviations from the breed standard. Such animals are neutered or sterilized so that the marriage is not passed on to offspring. But non-standard does not mean bad, a puppy of the pet category can grow up a beautiful smart dog and become your loyal friend. Pet class puppies are cheaper than the rest.
- Brid. Breed translates to "breed." Breed dogs have a good pedigree, they meet the breed standard, but with minor features. They participate in exhibitions where they do not claim victory. Their main task is to give offspring, in which the genes of prominent ancestors can appear. Breed puppies are significantly more expensive than pet.
- Show. The word show does not need to be translated. Show class puppies are the best of the best. Specialists know such pets by name, and at exhibitions they have no equal. Often you have to reserve a champion puppy before his birth. Show class is the most expensive dog category.
How to choose a breed of puppy
Every year there are more and more dog breeds. At the moment, their number exceeds 500, starting from the classic German shepherd dogs, cocker spaniels or Pekingese, ending with exotic for us labradoodle, chausus or pomsky. Fortunately, in order to choose the right puppy, it is not necessary to study all of them. Usually, each person likes only a few breeds of dogs, from which he chooses the most suitable for him.
The breed not only determines the appearance of the pet, but also affects its character, as well as how it will be necessary to spend time with the dog, how much its maintenance will cost. Care, games and raising a pet should not be a heavy burden on the owner, on the contrary, the dog in the house is an inexhaustible source of love and fun!
Dog breeds for an apartment
For living in an urban environment, calm, friendly, non-aggressive pets of small and medium sizes are suitable. A dog living in an apartment should not be hyperactive, otherwise it will begin to destroy the home. It is also desirable that there is no thick undercoat, due to which the molt will be very plentiful. Pay attention to “slobbering” - rocks with excessive salivation dirty walls and furniture. It is important that the dog is friendly to others, adapts to the rhythm of the owner's life and can be a decent company for a walk in the park.
Dog breeds for home
When choosing a dog for a private house, you need to decide in advance whether your pet will spend most of the time in the house and periodically go to the site, or whether he should live in an aviary and protect the territory. In the first case, the same pets are suitable as for the apartments, as well as their more active relatives, such as the Airedale or Beagle. Life in the aviary will be comfortable for large guard, service and shepherd dogs: Moscow guard, German shepherd, bloodhound, alabai, border collie, Doberman, Caucasian shepherd.
If you want a real good man to live with you, who would only warn a formidable bark about danger and scare uninvited guests with their size, pay attention to the Bernese Mountain Dog, Newfoundland and St. Bernard.
Hunting dog breeds that drive crazy “apartment” residents feel good outside the city and will be indispensable for outings in the forest. Hunting dogs are quite independent, can run away from the owner in search of prey. Dachshunds, greyhounds, Russian greyhounds and jack Russell terriers, without enough walks, will look for a victim by digging the beds.
It is also worth a closer look at the group of northern sled dogs. Husky, malamutes and Samoyed dogs have a charming appearance, amazing kindness and will make the company in any sports entertainment.
Important: only northern breeds with dense coat and undercoat can live on the street in winter. The rest of the dogs should winter in a house or insulated booth.
Dog breeds for busy people
If you devote a significant part of your time to work, but still dream of a dog, take a closer look at independent and relatively unpretentious breeds. Such pets will not suffer, being left alone for a while, they will not have to be cared for “for all their strength” for a long time.
Chow-chow resembling teddy bears are very patient and self-sufficient. Alaskan Malamutes, sharpei and greyhounds can also find their place in the schedule of workaholics.
A radical solution to the problem of dog loneliness is to have two pets. If they are of different breeds, the more interesting. For example, it was noticed that Labrador Retriever gets along well with papillons. By the way, both breeds are in the top 10 most intelligent dogs in the world.
Dog breeds for families with children
By their nature, dogs love children, while some breeds show a special awe and friendliness. Boxers and beagles will play and mess with the kids all day. Border Collie, Husky and Samoyeds will become real nannies. And in the company of good-natured Labradors and St. Bernards, children will always be protected.
Families with babies should avoid miniature breeds, as the child may accidentally injure the animal. Giant dogs of the type of Tibetan mastiffs, on the contrary, can accidentally push a baby.
Boy or girl
After choosing a breed of dog, future owners think about which puppy is better to take. In this matter, we recommend focusing on personal sympathies, however, males and bitches have differences in appearance and behavior that are worth keeping in mind.
Pros and cons of males:
- to participate in sports competitions, males are more suitable,
- more powerful and larger than females,
- lazier in training issues,
- males have a stronger sex drive. It will be necessary to compensate for his needs with the help of prolonged physical activity,
- during the walk the male is active, striving for his fellow tribesmen. If a flowing bitch is nearby, you will have to hold him tightly on a leash.
Pros and cons of bitches:
- more homely and affectionate, more attached to the owner,
- less aggressive and pugnacious,
- sleeker and smaller
- more obedient and easier to train,
- 2 times a year in bitches occurs in heat. They become nervous, naughty, the risk of infections increases. During these periods, the dog needs to be protected from males and monitored especially carefully because it may try to run away.
In general, it can be noted that the hallmark of males is independence, and the female is complaisance. But much depends on the temperament of a particular dog.
How to find a good nursery
So, if you have already decided which puppy of which breed and gender is right for you, it's time to look for a reliable breeder. There is no rush to the question of buying a dog. The animal will live with you for about 15 years, so it is so important to choose the puppy correctly. Refrain from spontaneous acquisition in the bird market or through free classified ads on the Internet. At a minimum, a puppy may not meet the breed standard when it grows up, but at the maximum there is a risk of buying a sick animal that will have to be treated for a long time, expensively and without success.
The best place to buy a puppy is a specialized nursery. You can choose a pet along with a dog breeder who understands the topic or independently, following the call of the heart. As a rule, nurseries have their own sites, you can find customer reviews about them.
Life hack: go to the dog show of the breed of which you are dreaming. There, see which dogs you like best, get to know their owners and find out where they got the puppies. Typically, dog lovers are happy to share this information, as well as provide valuable advice. Representatives of leading nurseries also actively participate in exhibition events and will not forget to provide you with business cards.
The number of nurseries depends on the popularity of the breed and region. After choosing a credible option, call there and make an appointment. During the conversation, ask the breeder about the conditions of the puppy and its parents. If you have a feeling that the puppy is trying to sell it urgently, this should alert. A good breeder will ask you a lot of questions about your family, living conditions, availability of free time and even hobbies to make sure that the puppy falls into good hands and suits you in character.
How to choose a healthy puppy
It's time to go to the nursery for your future pet. Please note that puppies must be kept in a clean room that does not have a pungent odor. Often, the breeder begins to demonstrate all his diplomas and lists the exhibition titles of the puppy's parents. Listen to this information, but do not lose your vigilance. In addition to potential champion regalia, it is very important what character the dog will have.
If you have the opportunity to meet your puppy's parents, do not miss it. Thus, it will be possible to evaluate their behavior in person. If you cannot arrange a meeting, ask the breeder if they were aggressive, pugnacious, or cowardly. These qualities are inherited, as well as the desire to howl, tear furniture and bark for no reason. Look at photos of the puppies' grandparents, if any.
It is worth giving up buying a sick puppy right away. However, many diseases are not obvious, or may appear only in the future. Try to “talk” to the breeder; he may accidentally mention moments that may indirectly indicate puppy diseases:
- a test for hip dysplasia in manufacturers of giant breeds is mandatory, its absence is suspicious,
- if the puppy eats poorly, he may have gastrointestinal or liver diseases,
- in allergic dogs, puppies with the same problem are often born
- if the animal is panicky afraid of fireworks, thunderstorms and other loud noises, then its nervous system is unstable. Hysterical parents are unlikely to have a bold and balanced puppy,
- dogs running during walks are undesirable producers of offspring,
- In pursuit of profit, unscrupulous breeders can breed dogs with epilepsy, which cannot be noticed until there is an attack.
A healthy puppy will be active and friendly. If you kneel down and call him, he will come to you. The kid will be curious about new people and toys. He should look happy, frolic with his brothers and sisters. In the hands of the breeder, the puppy is calm, gives itself a pat, including normally perceiving touches to the legs and muzzle. Refuse to buy cowardly and intimidated pets, as well as aggressive and dominant individuals. With age, the nature of the dog will not change significantly.
10 main external signs of a healthy puppy:
- a clear, lively look
- there is no pus or other discharge in the eyes,
- wet and shiny nose
- correct bite, number of teeth according to standard,
- the ears are pink and clean,
- on the skin there are no sores, acne and, especially, parasites,
- shiny, silky coat,
- tail without strong creases or docked,
- the lymph nodes are not enlarged,
- not a swollen tummy.
A big plus in favor of the breeder would be his agreement to conclude a puppy's written contract of sale. In case of revealing of significant defects prescribed in the contract, the animal can be returned. In addition, the very presence of "insurance" will discourage the seller from wanting to slip a problem pet.
At what age to pick a puppy
Russian breeders are advised to pick up the puppy at 8-10 weeks of age. By this time, the baby already has a basic education, accustomed to the toilet, he was vaccinated.
Important: do not take the puppy immediately after weaning from the mother. Up to 9 weeks, the baby learns dog language and socializes in the process of communicating with other puppies. Let him spend a couple of weeks in the dog manger.
A decent breeder will never give up a puppy who is less than 6 weeks old. If the buyer has extensive experience in keeping dogs, he can count on a 6-7-week-old baby. For beginners, this option is not suitable.
At what age it is better to take a puppy, the breed affects. So, large and giant dogs develop more slowly than medium and small ones. Large dogs are bought only in 3 months. It is important to feed such pets correctly and monitor their weight in order to avoid sudden jumps that promise problems with the musculoskeletal system.
If you want to buy a brid or show class puppy, pick it up later. It is possible to fully assess compliance with the breed standard and champion makings not earlier than 6-9 months of age. Despite the desire to pick up the baby as soon as possible, be patient!
Note: even selling the most expensive puppy, a conscientious breeder will never give guarantees that the dog will become a champion. He can only evaluate the puppy’s potential and make a prediction. It happens that the appearance of the animal changes significantly by the year. Also, much depends on the actions of competitors and how the owner will care for the dog and prepare it for the exhibition.
What questions to ask the breeder
First of all, find a stamp on the ear or in the groin area of the baby and ask the breeder to present a puppy card (metric). The brand code and the code in the metric must be the same.
The metric is the puppy's primary document, which is executed when the baby turns 45 days old. A cynologist comes to the nursery, examines all the babies from the litter and fixes the defects. Subsequently, the owner of the dog, aged 6-15 months, can exchange the metric for the pedigree, which will give the pet the right to participate in breeding.
Note: the metric is not paid separately, its price is included in the puppy's price. If you are not given a puppy card, then this may be a signal that the mating was unplanned. It makes no sense to buy purebred show and breed dogs without a metric, as they will not be able to make an exhibition career or become producers of offspring.
It is advisable that the puppy be issued a veterinary passport with marks on deworming and vaccinations. If there is no passport, you can do it yourself.
After checking the documents, you can proceed to the questions. Do not be afraid to look stupid, ask everything that excites you. Take the contacts of the breeder - for sure after a while you will have additional questions.
Do not forget to ask:
- How many puppies were in the litter (the optimal number is from 3 to 7)?
- Was the litter planned?
- What vaccinations and when to do?
- What kind of food does the puppy eat? When and how to translate to a new one?
- When can I go for a walk and in what mode?
- How to care for a pet?
- What teams does the puppy know?
- Will the breeder advise the veterinarian and will provide further support?
If the received answers satisfy you, and the puppy does not want to part anymore - congratulations, you have found your little miracle!
Puppies from the shelter or from the street
Puppies do not always get into the house directly from the caring hands of the breeders. Sometimes people are ready to save the dog by taking it from the street or from the shelter. In this case, first show the pet to the veterinarian to immediately learn about possible diseases.
When choosing a dog of a "noble" breed, it is important to understand that such animals have a more independent character than their thoroughbred relatives. Dogs living on the street adapt to vagrancy, their instincts are highly developed. A puppy can be cowardly or, conversely, be aggressive. Negative additions can be poor learning and frequent shoots.
On the other hand, among mutts there are very sensitive, intelligent and affectionate dogs. It seems that they daily thank the owner for their kindness. Do not forget that outbred dogs are the descendants of those pets that their owners once left on the street.
The right choice of puppy for each person will be his own. Evaluate your material and spiritual capabilities, and then do not be afraid to take a step towards responsibility - the dog will become your true friend and will present many happy moments!