Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) - a message about a critical system error placed on a blue background of a computer screen. BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) displays information about a serious Windows crash, shows the name and stop error codes.
The “blue screen of death” appears due to computer hardware problems or software malfunctions. The causes of BSoD can be very different: driver conflicts, device conflicts, application conflicts, the effects of viruses, etc.
Starting with the version of Windows 8, the appearance of the "blue screen of death" has changed slightly. Now the error message doesn’t look as sinister as before when the blue screen frightened many users. In Windows 10, a minimum of information is displayed on a blue screen.
To identify the causes of critical system errors, you can use the software, in particular, the free program BlueScreenView, which is an article on my site.
There are situations when, on the contrary, it is required to artificially cause a blue screen for research purposes. For example, it is necessary to carry out diagnostics, obtain screenshots during BSoD, check the operation of programs, etc. I needed this opportunity to demonstrate the operation of the BlueScreenView program when I wrote an article about this application.
How to call a blue screen? There are different ways to artificially run BSOD on a computer. In this article, we will consider 2 ways that cause BSOD on a computer: using the keyboard keys, after editing the registry, and using the Not My Fault program.
Disabling Windows Automatic Reboot upon System Failure
In Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 operating systems, it is necessary to disable automatic reboot in the event of a system failure, because the user may not understand the reason for the computer reboot.
To change the settings, we need to enter the additional system parameters. There are several ways to do this.
- Open Computer Control Panel, and then click the System icon (in the Small Icons view).
- In the "View basic information about your computer" window, click on the "Advanced system settings" link.
- In the "System Properties" window, in the "Advanced" tab, in the "Download and Restore" section, click on the "Options ..." button.
- In the "Download and Restore" window, in the "System Failure" section, uncheck the box next to "Perform automatic reboot."
- Click on the OK button.
- Press on the keyboard "Win" + "R".
- In the Run window, enter the command: "systempropertiesadvanced" (without quotes).
- Next, from the "System Properties" window, from the "Advanced" tab, in the "Download and Restore" section, click on "Settings ...".
- In the "Download and Restore" window, turn off the automatic system reboot that is performed in the event of a system failure.
- Apply this setting.
How to cause blue screen of death in Windows
This method works in the operating systems Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP. The Scroll Lock key is designed to change the behavior or position of the mouse cursor. Among other things, the key has a function with which developers can get a memory dump by artificially causing a “blue screen of death” to debug the system.
The BSOD call function is disabled by default in the Windows settings. The user can independently enable this functionality for use for their own purposes.
To do this, you need to make changes to the Windows registry. Open Registry Editor in one of these ways.
Follow the path if you use a keyboard connected through the PS / 2 port:
If the keyboard is connected via USB, go to the following path:
Enter the “Parameters” section, right-click on the free space.
In the context menu, select “Create” and then “DWORD Parameter (32 bits)”.
Name the parameter “CrashOnCtrlScroll” (without quotes).
Right-click on the parameter, and select "Change ..." in the context menu.
In the “Change DWORD parameter (32 bits)” window, in the “Value” field, insert the parameter “1” (without quotes), and then click the “OK” button.
Restart your computer to apply the settings.
Now, if necessary, we call up the blue Windows death screen by pressing the right Ctrl key and double-clicking the Scroll Lock (ScrLk) key on the keyboard.
If the need for such a BSOD start on the computer has disappeared, delete the previously created parameters from the registry.
How to make Windows blue screen in Not My Fault
The free program Not My Fault was created by Mark Russinovich to cause an artificial failure of the operating system due to various reasons. In the future, Windows will behave the way the system behaves after a real malfunction occurs, so it is better to try this application on a virtual machine.
Download the Not My Fault Utility from here. Unzip the archive with the program, and then from the program folder, run the application file, in accordance with the capacity of your system. Not My Fault does not require installation on a computer.
In the Not My Fault program window, in the “Crash” tab, select the appropriate cause of a critical system crash:
- High IRQL fault (kernel-mode).
- Buffer overflow.
- Code overflow.
- Stack trash.
- High IRQL fault (User-mode).
- Stack overflow.
- Hardcoded breakpoint.
- Double free.
Click on the Crash button.
BSoD opens on the computer with an error that caused the system to crash.
But the victim doesn’t know about the fake BSOD!
In general, use it. Do not extort money from this joke, just enjoy the reaction. I, in turn, would advise using it as a means of “uninstalling” the program that your colleague or the offspring who are constantly occupying the home computer use. We will pay attention to this right now.
- Copy the file to the root of drive C and create a shortcut on the desktop:
- Then, in the properties of the shortcut, select Change icon and go to the location in the folders of the programs installed in Windows, which are usually grouped in the Program Files directory:
I chose the icon of a well-known antivirus program. If you are a conscientious father, select the badge of a game that is boring to everyone, from which the child cannot break away. And under this specious pretext (they say, it doesn’t work, see?), Delete it.
Now just rename the shortcut, giving it the name of the desired program, and delete the real icon. This is called forgery, but in good intentions. A fake BSOD will play a role. Especially if users in this account hide the taskbar from the desktop:
Blue screen of death, its causes
The reasons for the appearance of the blue screen can be divided into two main groups:
- System. Problems with the operating system: there are no necessary files necessary for the correct operation of Windows, an incorrectly installed OS, infection with malware or a file, and so on.
- Hardware. Problems with computer hardware: a hard disk or video card malfunction, processor overheating, and so on.
In order to accurately determine the cause of the error, you must carefully examine the contents of the blue screen. After all, it is on it that all the information the user needs is indicated, namely: the cause of the error and even recommendations for its elimination.
If the information that is displayed on the screen is not enough, then the computer can be configured specifically to diagnose the blue screen of death.
File corruption win32k sys provokes a blue screen. Therefore, it is definitely worth checking and scanning other directories.
A blue Windows screen or a memory dump is a reflection of the working (or not quite) state of the operating system in a certain period of time. Since immediately after the occurrence of a critical error, after which a sharp shutdown of the device may follow, Windows displays all the necessary information on the famous blue screen, for further diagnosis, you just need to remember it: rewrite or take a picture.
The main nuisance is that a blue screen is displayed for a strictly limited time. Then the restart mechanism starts. Therefore, an unprepared user who does not know where to look, it can be difficult to manage to rewrite the necessary information.
To disable auto-restart of the device, that is, when the computer or laptop immediately starts to reboot, immediately after the blue screen of death appears, it is necessary to activate the recording of small memory dumps, that is, part of its important content. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Start and right click on the item A computer.
- In the drop-down list that appears, find and select the line “The properties».
- Move to the tab “located on the upper left of the windowAdditional system parameters».
- Now go to the “Additionally».
- The following window will open, where, in addition to other information available for change, the section "System boot and restore". If necessary, you can create a control point in order to roll back the system if something happens. In this section, click the Options button.
- Here you will find the section "System failure».In point "Auto reboot»Just uncheck it. By doing this, the computer or laptop will no longer restart immediately. For this to happen, you must press Enter. Now in the section "Record Debug Information"In the drop-down list you need to find and select"Small memory dump". This must be done so that all data about a system failure is automatically recorded and stored on the device for a certain time. Save the changes you just made by clicking OK.
Now the blue screen of death when loading Windows 7 will not immediately disappear, so you will have time to rewrite the necessary information.
Since any malfunction can cause a blue screen of death, then to correct the error, it must be identified.
Once you managed to take a picture of the blue screen when loading Windows or to record the information that appears on it, you can proceed to decrypt the error, which became the cause of its occurrence:
- The first line the system in English politely notifies that a critical shutdown of Windows has occurred.
- What follows is what exactly caused the problem. This can be the name of the file or driver for the video card, audio card, TCPIP.SYS, SPCMDCON.SYS, DXGKRNLl.SYS, NTKRNLPA.EXE, NETIO.SYS and so on. If this line is missing, then the cause of the error should be sought in the computer hardware.
- The name of the error, understandable to the user, for example, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, indicates that an error occurred while installing the driver.
- This is followed by a large array of text in which Windows offers a possible solution to the problem. For example, check the correct installation of drivers, start the disk check service, perform a system restore, and so on.
- After the word STOP, a technical error code is indicated to more accurately identify and eliminate it. It can be of the type 0x1000007e, 0x00000116 and the like.
- Below the system, it is possible to repeatedly indicate the names of files or drivers, such as TCPIP.SYS, SPCMDCON.SYS, NTKRNLPA.EXE, NTOSKRNL.SYS, NETIO.SYS and the like, which could provoke a blue screen.
- Additionally, depending on the type of malfunction, Windows can give out the address of the RAM where the critical error occurred. By analogy with the STOP code, it will probably be in the format of type Address 0x00000116.
Knowing this information, it becomes clear how to remove the blue screen of death.
General recommendations for resolving critical errors
Problems with a blue screen in 90% of cases are the most commonplace and appear in users who are poorly versed in computers, so they often neglect to install system updates, drivers, the correct procedure for removing programs, and so on.
Damage to the acpi sys file can cause a blue screen, therefore, to resolve the error, you must replace it with a workable version.
Even if it says on the screen that the error was caused by files like tcpip, ntoskrnl, fltmgr, netio, ntkrnlpa, the first thing to do is:
- Clean the inside of the computer from dust. If the error message contains information about the device overheating, then it is possible to replace the thermal paste. As a rule, in this case, the computer shuts down much more often, and when loading, an ordinary black screen appears periodically.
- Perform a complete diagnosis of the device, check that the equipment is connected correctly.
- Update, and if necessary, reinstall the drivers, especially when it comes to damage to the system files TCPIP.SYS, NTOSKRNL, SPCMDCON.SYS, FLTMGR, IGDPMD64.SYS, NTKRNLPA.EXE, NETIO.SYS and the like.
- Check the device for stability if the processor is faulty.
- Make a diagnosis of computer RAM problems.
- Run an automatic check for system updates.
- Clean hard drive of junk programs.
- Download and replace missing or corrupt .dll libraries.
- Carry out an anti-virus scan for infection with malicious files and programs.
- If you use additional boards in your work, then you should definitely check them out.
It will not be superfluous to defragment, check and clean the registry. This is best done using special software. One such program is Ccleaner.
With its help, it is also possible to check the availability of all the files and libraries necessary for the stable operation of the operating system. If any of them are missing or damaged, the program will offer to download them and make a replacement. If desired, you can make a copy of the original files and save in any convenient place on your hard drive.
Screen of death when loading or installing Windows
If you do not know how to remove the blue screen of death when installing Windows 7, then carefully read the following information. Such an error can occur only in three cases if:
- faulty x64 operating system image,
- working image, but faulty hardware (error 0x00000116, IGDPMD64.SYS, fltmgr, ntoskrnl),
- The BIOS was configured incorrectly.
If during the installation of Windows XP the blue screen repeats again and again, but you are sure that the computer hardware is in order, then the problem is most likely the very faulty image of the operating system that you are using.
A blue screen when installing or restoring Windows may occur due to a faulty internal drive (HDD) or incorrect formatting. Do not neglect the standard procedure for verifying the operability of the used OS image, disk or flash drive. All this information can be found on the screen. Correct other problems in the same way.
Missing or corrupt system files
If you do not know how to remove the blue screen of death resulting from the absence or damage of system files or libraries such as TCPIP.SYS, SPCMDCON.SYS, IGDPMD64.SYS, fltmgr, DXGKRNLl.SYS, NTKRNLPA.EXE, NETIO.SYS or errors 0x00000116 then this method is for you. It is also suitable for errors caused by other files with the extension .SYS, .DLL, .EXE. To do this, you can use a special third-party distributed free-of-charge utility. One of the most popular is DLL Suite.
After installing the program, you need to start it and start scanning using the Start button. Further, the utility will offer to check files like ntoskrnl, dxgkrnl, igdpmd64, fltmgr, tcpip, netio, ntkrnlpa. Additionally, the program will check other directories. If you are sure that it was the nvlddmkm sys file that caused the blue screen of Windows 7 or any other whose name you must know exactly, then you can check it.
Once the scan is complete, DLL Suite will offer:
- replace the file if it was really damaged,
- proceed to scan the remaining system files if the specified file is not damaged,
- just delete the faulty file if you want to replace it yourself,
- Do nothing, but at the same time open the folder with the damaged file to resolve the problem yourself.
Optionally, you can install other applications to automatically search for damaged system files and replace them. Some of them similarly identify and fix driver-related problems.
If you recently made BIOS changes or tried to overclock the processor, then it is possible that the problem is caused by this. Therefore, it is definitely worth trying to return to its default settings. There are several ways to do this:
- Using jumper. The method is suitable for desktop computers. It is necessary to completely turn off the power to the device, up to removing the plug from the outlet, remove the cover from the system unit and find the jumper located on the system board next to the battery, usually marked CMOS. Move the jumper to position 2-3 for 15 seconds.After that, the BIOS settings will return to the factory settings. If there are only two contacts, then it is enough to close them.
- If possible, use the utility BIOS Setup, then reset to the factory settings can be done using it. To do this, run the program, and select "Load Optimal Defaults»Or some similar name depending on the BIOS version.This should be done with caution, as improper reset of the BIOS can lead to damage to the device. Если вы не уверены в своих силах, то обратитесь за помощью к квалифицированному специалисту.