Chocolate is the food of the gods. This is not just a treat, but also an energy product. 100 grams of chocolate contains almost 500 calories. In addition, chocolate is an excellent antidepressant.
The quality of chocolate depends on its cocoa content. You can eat, drink and cook chocolate with it a lot of delicious dishes.
You can make chocolate icing. It is ideal for decorating ready-made pastries: cakes, pastries, cookies. Berries and fruits are coated with icing to produce delicious desserts in minutes.
For icing, you can use both black and milk chocolate, sweet, semisweet or bitter. The main thing is that its quality be high.
In order to make chocolate icing, cocoa powder is also used. In the finished glaze, you can add vanilla or other flavorings to taste, small doses of alcohol (cognac, rum), crushed nuts, coconut flakes or use in pure form.
There are many recipes for making chocolate glaze; we will consider several cooking options.
Chocolate icing made from cocoa powder and sugar syrup
- Cocoa powder - 5 tbsp. spoons
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Water - 125 ml.
Pour water into the bucket and pour granulated sugar. While stirring, cook the syrup until it begins to thicken. Add cocoa powder to the syrup, mix and cool. Grind the icing well with a cooking spatula. As soon as the icing thickens, proceed to decorate the cake or other pastries.
Water can be replaced with milk.
Firstly, it is necessary to observe the technology of melting chocolate, because this confectionery product is quite capricious:
- Make it better in a water bath.
- The utensils used must be perfectly dry.
- A stirring spoon is suitable only for wood or silicone.
- We set the fire extremely small.
- The diameter of the bowl in which the chocolate is melted should not be radically less than the diameter of the container with water, otherwise the steam will fall into the glaze, which will affect the quality and the required elasticity of the final product.
- The bottom of the chocolate bowl should not touch boiling water.
- It is forbidden to cover the prepared glaze with a lid, this will create favorable conditions for the formation of condensate, and even a tiny drop of water is our worst enemy.
Secondly, it is important to remember that chocolate is not suitable for the preparation of this product:
- porous - due to the oil released during the melting process, the glaze does not turn out liquid, but turns into a large lump formed from small chocolate grains,
- with fillers - nuts, fruit layers, raisins, caramel intersperses (because of them, a treat for decorating cakes will not come out homogeneous and flowing),
- cheap, dubious quality - the final product will be of the appropriate type and taste.
Culinary or dessert chocolate, fondant or couverture is suitable for covering baking.
To make chocolate icing:
- We take from 100 to 300 g of milk chocolate (based on the size of the surface of the pie or the number of cookies, cakes).
- Breaking it into small pieces.
- The bottom of the dishes in which the confectionery is planned to melt, lightly grease with oil - so the chocolate does not stick, and it will subsequently be easy to wash.
- We heat the composition in a water bath, stirring every 40 seconds, until there are no lumps and a uniform flowing structure. Note! To milk chocolate began to melt, just warm it up to 45, a maximum - up to 50 degrees.
- We give time to the finished product to cool to 35 - 36 degrees, cover it with dessert, fruit or pastries.
The temperature of the glaze at the time of application is extremely important: if it turns out to be hot - it will spoil the confectionery product and will spread, cold - it will become excessively thick and unsuitable for coating due to loss of ductility.
Which chocolate to choose
The best choice for chocolate glaze is non-porous chocolate without additives.
- with various fillers: nuts, fruit slices, etc., since the mass for the glaze should be uniform,
- porous, because oil is released from it during melting, the treat itself does not melt, but gathers in a huge lump of chocolate grains,
- cheap, because it is heterogeneous in composition and has a low quality, which will inevitably affect the final product.
- milk is considered to be the ideal option, after melting nothing needs to be added to it, except perhaps a little butter,
- the confectionery is more convenient in the preparation of glaze, it melts into a homogeneous mass faster, but in taste it is much inferior to the food tile,
- the use of white chocolate is very interesting, it has a peculiar soft taste, and in this case, the icing can be tinted in different colors using food colors,
- do not rush to put aside the bitter, the glaze made from it contrasts very peculiarly with excessively sweet cakes or pastries.
If you are not going to use white chocolate, pay attention to the color of the product, it should be dark brown and saturated.
This type of chocolate has a peculiar, mild taste, and the white chocolate icing for the cake looks elegant and original. In addition, it is an opportunity to experiment by adding food colors of the desired colors during the melting process. Powdery, turquoise, or maybe even neon glaze is an excellent solution for baking made for children's parties, theme parties, and color weddings.
The specifics of the preparation are no different from the method described in the previous embodiment. With only one difference - after the bar of white chocolate is melted, from 2 to 5 tbsp are added to it. l milk or cream to obtain the desired consistency of the finished product. Stir until complete mass uniformity. It is cooled to the desired temperature and applied warmly to baking.
Such glaze is also suitable for Easter cake, instead of traditional protein fudge. Easter baking will turn out unusual, with a delicious crunch of chocolate “crust”.
Glaze preparation rules
When working with dark or bitter tiles, milk, sugar and cream must be added to the mixture
- Break the tiles as small as possible
- The container in which the chocolate will melt must be lubricated with butter so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom and walls,
- Pick up another vessel, larger in diameter, heat water in it (you can not boil) to 50–70 degrees,
- Put a smaller container in a large one while continuing to heat, be sure to ensure that hot water does not splash onto the heated chocolate,
- Constantly stir the prepared glaze, preferably with a wooden spatula,
- You can’t close the containers with a lid, this will lead to the formation of condensation, which will ruin everything,
- If necessary, add a few tablespoons of milk, sugar or cream,
- Immediately after the chocolate has completely melted to a homogeneous mass, add butter to the mixture,
- If you like to experiment, use other additives, for example, honey, sour cream, condensed milk.
Remember that the mixture should be extremely homogeneous and not too thick, otherwise it will harden until the confectionery masterpiece is fully formed, and the single-color glaze will not work.
Chocolate glaze from chocolate in combination with butter turns out brilliant, providing the cake with a beautiful glossy surface. At the same time, below it is very tender, melting in the mouth. Such a composition is applied evenly and easily, it cooks quickly.
Ingredients for the classic recipe:
- 125 g of any chocolate (choose according to the recommendations!),
- 50 g of good quality oil.
The last component is introduced gradually into the melted mass of chocolate. The fire is turned off, but the containers used for the water bath are left in place to achieve the desired consistency and to prevent delamination of the oil. Glaze is thoroughly mixed to the desired density.
Stages of cooking:
- Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Do not boil!
- Cooking sugar syrup.
- We break the chocolate bar into pieces of the same size.
- In hot cream, which must first be removed from the heat, add the remaining components. Leave for about 5 minutes, so that the chocolate has time to melt.
- Stir until smooth with a whisk.
- Pour the cooled icing onto the surface of the dessert, level it with a knife or a pastry shovel.
To make chocolate icing with sour cream:
- Beat the dairy product with a whisk with sugar (syrup or powder) in an enameled bowl.
- A piece of soft oil is added to the resulting mass, again slightly beat.
- Pour a bar of chocolate previously broken into pieces, mix.
- Cook over low heat until the first signs of boiling.
You can use another recipe: pre-melt the chocolate in a water bath, and beat the remaining ingredients and gradually introduce them into a warm mass, intensively stirring with a whisk or a wooden spoon.
A simple recipe with milk
This glaze is ideal for eclairs, custard cakes and other similar delicacies. It is prepared elementarily from chocolate and milk (100 g + 3 tbsp. L.), Which are mixed and heated in a water bath. Upon reaching a homogeneous pouring consistency, the chocolate mass is applied with a silicone brush to the finished confectionery.
It is necessary to spread quickly, because the decoration begins to harden almost immediately.
Microwave chocolate icing
This method is optimal if the chocolate mass is not prepared for coating or pouring, but for mixing with other ingredients (for example, nuts to make a sweet sandwich paste). A broken chocolate bar is poured with several tablespoons of milk and sent to the microwave for 3 - 7 minutes. The exact time depends on the power and features of the microwave oven. The melted mixture mixes well and is then used as intended.
- It is better to set the temperature and power to the minimum so that the chocolate mass does not overheat.
- If you want to get a softer mass for the glaze, add soft chocolate butter to the broken into pieces tile (you can replace it with a mixture of ordinary butter and cocoa powder).
- Experienced culinary specialists claim that defrosting is the most suitable function for heating chocolate in the microwave.
A delicious coating is being prepared to decorate baking according to any of the proposed recipes. It is important to remember that the temperature suitable for melting this kind of chocolate is higher than that of the milk analog, and is 55 degrees.
For glaze, it is better to buy a tile of 72 percent bitter goodies.
Of course, this is not an exhaustive list of recipes. Chocolate icing for the cake can also be prepared with the addition of condensed milk, gelatin, honey and even alcoholic beverages - for example, cognac or rum. Each mistress uses her own version, the closest to her.
How to make icing - step by step recipe with photo
- dark chocolate - 120 g
- cow's milk - 4 tbsp.
- Break the tiles into pieces.
Chocolate must be broken into slices or even smaller pieces
Chocolate should be melted in a steam bath
If you use pure chocolate, the glaze will be thick
The recipe is basic, basic. On this basis, you can give vent to your imagination - add honey, syrup, etc.
The use of condensed milk makes the mixture flexible and it will be easily applied to a variety of products anywhere.
Cake surrounded by cakes, cherries and macaroon lids
Glaze and creativity make it possible to achieve unprecedented heights of craftsmanship even for novice cooks and lovers
The so-called mirror glaze looks very impressive. It is prepared with the addition of diluted gelatin, frozen, then melted again and applied to the same frozen product.
Chocolate icing, like chocolate, can be stored long enough
Cake and icing should be the same temperature
Icing can be eaten with cookies or instead of chocolate for tea
Chocolate icing is used to make cakes.
An unusual treat that will find many fans. In addition to strawberries, you can choose any other fruit